The Wednesday episode of KBC (Kaun Banega Crorepati) was memorable for the Season 12 as the show got its first crorepati in Delhi-based Nazia Nasim. The contestant was lauded not only for her historic victory, but also for not using any lifeline till late during the game. On November 11, she won the prize money of Rs 1 crore after answering 15 questions correctly. Nasim was the roll-over contestant of Tuesday’s game, during which she had earned Rs 40,000 already. Although Nazia couldn’t answer the 16th jackpot question of Rs 7 crore, she is hailed as the first crorepati after the season premiered on September 28, 2020.
Here are 10 things to know about Nazia Nasim.
- Nasim hails from Ranchi, Jharkhand. She moved to Delhi in 2004 to do a PG diploma in advertising and PR from Indian Institute of Mass Communication. Currently, Nasim is working as a communication manager.
- She got married in 2008. Along with her husband and 10-year-old son, she resides in the National Capital Delhi.
- Nasim’s credits her inspiration of participating in KBC to her mother who has been a die-hard fan of the show and host Amitabh Bachchan. She and her father used to go to the telephone booth early morning to answer KBC’s participatory questions. After having tried for more than 8-10 seasons for 20 years, she finally had to chance to try her knowledge at the game show.
- For Nasim, winning the prize money was a ‘Slumdog Millionaire moment’ as she just had to refresh the knowledge she had acquired over the years to answer the questions as she hadn’t prepared much for the show. Slumdog Millionaire is a 2009 Academy Award winning film about the journey of a teenager from slums of Mumbai becoming a millionaire.
- Nasim revealed that she would use her prize money for medical expenses of her parents and in-laws. She also wants to get his son proper soccer training as he is an enthusiast of the sport. Moreover, she would donate 2.5 percent of the money for charity (zakat).
- Nasim identifies herself as a feminist as she is a big propagator of women’s rights. She hopes that her victory helps cultivate confidence in women and girls from small towns to thrive.
- The first crorepati of KBC 12 feels that the show is much more than just money as it provides a stage and opportunity for a person from a decent family to appear on national television and talk to a celebrity.
- On talking about not winning the jackpot amount Rs 7 crore, she said that she had gone on the show to fulfill her mother’s dream.
- The question that fetched Nasim one crore rupees was, “Which of these actresses once won a National Film Award for Best Playback Singer?” which she answered correctly as Roopa Ganguly.
- Nasim’s strategy on the game show was eliminating every wrong option, which did eventually lead her to the right answer. Notably, she didn’t use any lifeline till the 11th question.
Shikha Chandra is an intern with SheThePeople.TV
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.