Hyderabad rape case update: Last week, a gruesome crime unfolded in Hyderabad’s Saidabad area. A 6-year-old girl was allegedly raped and murdered by her neighbour named Raju.
The 30-year-old man reportedly lured the child to his house by offering candies and then allegedly committed the crime. The girl had gone missing on Thursday morning. After her parents could not find her, they filed a police complaint, according to reports. By evening, the police had discovered the girl’s dead body at the family’s neighbour Raju’s house. The accused man is still absconding.
Major protests broke out in the city in which locals and student organisations took part. They demanded the strictest action against the accused and justice for the bereaved family.
Reports on September 16 said the man was found dead in Telangana at Station Ghanapur. Police toldÂ The News Minute that Raju jumped in front of a train while absconding them. Nine teams were engaged in search operations for Raju since the reported rape incident on September 9. Details in the case are still developing. The police are yet to make an official statement post the death of the accused. On social media, netizens are speculating over the incident near the railway tracks allegedly being a police encounter as in the veterinarian gangrape case from Shamshabad, Hyderabad in 2019. More here.
Here’s what we know about the case so far:
- According to a report by News Minute, the girl’s father is a auto driver in Hyderabad and had migrated from the Nalgonda district of Telangana. The family belongs to Lambada tribe.
- A case under charges of murder and rape has been filed against the accused including the sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act 2012.
- MP Revanth Reddy, the Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee president visited the deceased girl’s family on September 13. He alleged police inaction in the case. He said, “The youth in the area are demanding for the encounter of the accused like in Disha case. They want to catch the accused and punish him, as the police are not able to do so.”
- Former IPS officer and Bahujan Samaj Party coordinator RS Praveen Kumar, and MLA Seethakka also visited the family members and demanded arrest of the accused.
- The Hyderabad City Police has reportedly formed over 15 special teams to arrest the accused in the case.
- As per reports, the accused man was last seen in the CCTV footage from Falaknuma locality. He was wearing a face mask, a cap and had company of one other person.
- The Malakpet Assistant Commissioner of Police Venkata Ramana cleared the air about the accused being already arrested and assured to reporters that he will be nabbed and brought to justice.
- The police has so far questioned the accused man’s friend who told them that he worked at a construction site. He also told the police that the accused makes a living out of daily wages and never stays in one place for too long.
- As per reports, the accused man was not a permanent resident at Saidabad and he does not even own a mobile phone.
- Some social media users revealed the identity of the deceased girl and in turn violated the Supreme Court directives. The Hyderabad cyber crime police has since then identified some social media accounts and asked the platforms to take down those posts.