Happy Birthday To The Badminton Sensation Of India – Saina Nehwal
Saina Nehwal has many firsts to her credit. Besides being one of the most talented sportspersons of the contemporary era, she is also the first Indian badminton player to clinch a medal at the prestigious Olympics. She has been inspiring an entire generation with her impeccable timing and skills.
On her 27th birthday today, here are some interesting facts about her life:
1. Both Saina’s parents were state-level badminton players in Haryana. So, we exactly know where all this amazing talent is coming from! They also made sure that Saina never fell short of money and completed her training smoothly.
2. Saina had been a champion in Karate before taking up Badminton. She holds a brown belt in the sport.
— Gajendra S Shekhawat (@gssjodhpur) March 17, 2017
Happy birthday @NSaina ! You are simply 1 of the greatest inspirations of our country and every single citizen is proud of your victories 🙂
— Priyanka patel (@Priya_sports) March 17, 2017
3. Saina holds 21 international titles. She was also one of the eight brand ambassadors at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, which took place in New Delhi. She has won a total of four medals in the Commonwealth Games – one gold and three bronze.
4. Every sportperson has her own unique way of celebrating his/her victory. Saina does so by slurping her favourite ice creams.
5. She is the first woman badminton player to win the Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament twice.
6. She received the Arjuna Award in 2009, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2010, and the Padma Shri in 2010.
7. Saina wrote her autobiography ‘Playing To Win’ at the young age of 21. It reveals all about her professional life and what all it took for her to become what she is today. During the book release, she mentioned that winning is the biggest motivating factor in her life which keeps her going. She acknowledged the contribution of her coaches, her fellow players and staff members.
8. PM Narendra Modi calls her “The Darling Daughter Of India” as a tribute to her hard work, which has brought so many laurels to the country. The government also announced that she will soon have her own land to build a badminton academy in Haryana state.
Her journey has inspired thousands of girls across the country to take up sports professionally. SheThePeople.Tv wishes Saina a very Happy Birthday.
Charvi Is An Intern With SheThePeople.TV