Phones to panic buttons for women’s safety
India’s Minister for Women and Child Development says all the mobile phones should have a panic button for women to call for help in situations that compromise safety. Here are the five things you should know about this scheme:
- One press on the panic button will direct a call on a pre-determined number that is saved by the user. The WCD and the telecom ministry are on it ensuring its operation. It is also made easy to use keeping in mind the usage of the technology in the rural places.
- The minister sought suggestions for tools for women’s safety. She wanted something quick and effective. Suggestions made earlier included girls wearing bracelets, necklaces etc. geared with SOS texting feature. She rejected them as Gandhi felt they could be a punishment to girls rather than a safety measure.
- All the cell phones including the existing ones will be covered in this scheme. The new ones will come equipped with a built-in panic button. While all the current users will have to get it fixed from their dealers.
- The panic buttons will be connected GPS all the time. This will help in tracing the location of the user. Gandhi said that her ministry is still in talks with the phone manufacturers in this regard.
- It will take about six months for the execution of this plan as per the Union Cabinet Minister.
Picture Credit- Gadstone