Waheeda Rehman turns 78, more graceful with every birthday
Waheeda Rehman is till date considered the most graceful dancer and actor in Bollywood. Her long romance with films and the film industry started in 1956. She debuted in the movie called CID that changed her life and established her in the glamour world. And since then she has worked with all the big names of the industry be it Guru Dutt, Dev Anand, Amitabh Bachchan, Satyajit Ray etc. Her last appearance in a movie came only months back in Kamal Hassan’s big project Vishwaroopam 2. Today on her birthday, we remind you of some of her achievements and ‘must know’ trivia about the beautiful Waheeda Rehman ji-
1. Shocking as it might sound to her ardent fans, Rehman never wanted to become an actress. She aspired to be a doctor, but due to poor financial conditions in her family, she had to take up this career.
2. Though she started her career with acting in Telugu and Tamil films as she was brought up in Tamil Nadu, success touch her feet in Bollywood and especially those movies co-starring Guru Dutt like Pyassa, Sahib Biwi aur Ghulam and Chaudhavi Ka Chand and Dev Anand like Guide and Kala Bazaar.
3. Rehman is one of those esteemed actresses who have been awarded with Padma Shri in 1972 and Padma Bhushan in 2011. She is also the first person to be honoured with the Centenary Award for the Indian Film Personality of the Year in 2013. This annual honour was introduced in the same year to commemorate 100 years of Indian cinema.
4. Rehman is firstly famous for her dancing skills and then for her acting. She is trained in Bharatnatyam which she learnt in her childhood. Her dance was well-received by our Indian audience and she went on to perform on beautiful song like Kahin pe nigaahein Kahin pe nishana, Piya Tose Naina lage re etc.
5. As an actress, Rehman has done numerous movies and won many awards. But her most applauded performance that won her recognition and best actor female award is Guide at the Filmfare Awards. She also did a movie opposite Sunil Dutt, Reshma Aur Shera in 1971 for which she won a National Award.
Picture Credit- mrandmrs55