#News

Delhi Restaurant Saree Entry Controversy: Outlet Asked To Shut For Lack Of License

delhi saree restaurant, Anita Chaudhary daughter ,Delhi Restaurant Saree Entry, Delhi hotel saree ,Delhi Restaurant Video saree clad woman, Delhi restaurant video
Delhi saree restaurant controversy: A restaurant in an upscale location in Delhi, which was accused of denying entry to a saree-clad woman earlier this month, was reportedly issued a closure notice from municipal authorities for lack of proper license. Encroachment and hygiene issues were also flagged.

The eating joint in Ansal Plaza is allegedly operating without a health trade license, a health inspector found, according to a PTI report on Wednesday. The notice from South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) officials is dated September 24, three days after a health check.

This comes days after the restaurant courted controversy for allegedly refusing entry to a woman in a saree on grounds that her outfit did not constitute “smart casuals,” as the staff claimed was the dress code of the place. In subsequent clarifications, the restaurant alleged the woman, a journalist, slapped their manager and did not have a reservation. She refuted their claims, alleging unprofessional behaviour. More on the controversy here.

Delhi Saree Restaurant Controversy Takes A Turn

“The public health inspector again inspected the site on September 24 and found that the trade is running under the same condition,” the notice reportedly reads. It emphasised that the restaurant had not modified its health conditions even after a warning check and ordered it to shut down within 48 hours of the receipt.

Latest reports suggest the restaurant owner, responding to the closure notice, has said his outlet has shut operations “from health point of view” and that they will not create nuisance.

In recent weeks, the restaurant has come under immense fire for its staff’s “smart casuals” remark, with many Indian women sharing snaps of themselves in traditional sarees in protest. In a statement, the restaurant apologised, adding they did not have any such dress codes and their staff allegedly only said that to remove the journalist from their premises.

The National Commission for Women (NCW) took cognisance of the controversy and directed Delhi police to probe the incident. Read here.


Trending now:

We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.

By proceeding, you are agreeing to our Terms of Service .View our FAQs and Support page .