PSBB teacher suspension: Students of Chennai based school raised allegations of sexual harassment against a teacher.
Students raised allegations of misbehaviour and sexual advances in the classroom against a professor of Commerce, Rajagopalan of Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan School (PSBB). Alumni from the school spoke out about the experience and used social media to amplify the voices of the students.
Member of Parliament from Thoothukudi constituency, Kanimozhi Karunanidhi demanded that the school administration take immediate action.
The sexual harassment allegations against a commerce teacher in PSBB School,Chennai has been shocking. Inquiry should be conducted and action must be taken against those who are involved including school authorities who failed to act against the complaints from students. (1/3)
— Kanimozhi (கனிமொழி) (@KanimozhiDMK) May 24, 2021
10 Things To Know About PSBB Teacher Suspension
- The accused, Rajagopalan has been reportedly teaching Commerce and Accountancy for over 20 years at the school.
- The allegations against Rajagopalan include walking into online classes in only a towel, sending pornography links on the class group, asking female students to send photographs, and asking female students out for movies. Male students accused Rajagopalan of groping them.
- 1,000 alumni of the Chennai school signed a statement demanding Rajagopalan’s immediate suspension. If Rajagopalan resigned before the investigation is completed, the statement said that he must be dealt with under the law.
- The letter signed by the alumni also demanded that Rajagopalan be barred from contacting students and grading assignments during the investigation.
- The letter said that his actions are punishable under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012 (POCSO).
- The case is being investigated by a team lead by the Deputy Commissioner of Police H Jayalakshimi. The accused, Rajagopalan has been questioned.
- The principal of the school, Geetha Govindarajan issued a statement. It stated that an inquiry into the accusations will be conducted without any bias. Rajagopalan has been suspended until the investigation is completed.
- Tamil Nadu School Education Minister, Anbil Mahesh Poyyamozhi said in a statement that an enquiry was being conducted and that the matter was being taken seriously. He said that the school stated that a committee would be set up to look into the allegations. Poyyazmozhi said that if Rajagopalan was found guilty, strict action would be taken against him.
- PSBB said in a statement that “not a single complaint was brought to the notice of the management”.
Poyyamozhi said that “If there is evidence that the past complaints were neglected by the school management, necessary action will be taken against them as well.”
- Kripali Samdariya, fashion model and former student highlighted the allegations against the accused along with complaints about the administration’s inaction.