Bulli Bai app is under fire for displaying doctored photos of hundreds of influential Muslim women for sale online. An FIR was lodged by the Delhi Police in this connection on 2 January, 2022 under section 509 in Cyber Police station of South-East district, according to Delhi Police. Besides this, the Information and Technology Ministry has now taken an action against its creators.
Here are few things to know about the ‘Bulli Bai’ controversy
- A strict action was taken when Shiv Sena MP Priyanka Chaturvedi brought the matter to the notice of IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw.
- A case by Delhi Police was registered by a woman journalist after being targetted by an unidentified group of people on this mobile application.
- In her complaint, the woman told police that she was shocked when she found out that a portal had a doctored picture of her in an improper, unacceptable and lewd context.
- “The said ‘Github` is violent, threatening and intending to create a feeling of fear and shame in my mind, as well as in the minds of women in general, and the Muslim community whose women are being targeted in this hateful manner. In fact, this website has been targeting other Muslim women as well,” alleged the complainant.
- Ashwini Vaishnaw, Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology, took to Twitter on Saturday to inform that action has been taken against the portal.
- He also said that the GitHub user behind the ‘Bulli Bai’ app had been blocked and “further action” was being coordinated.
- Shiv Sena MP had asked, “I have repeatedly asked Hon. IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw ji to take stern action against such rampant misogyny and communal targeting of women through #sullideals like platforms. A shame that it continues to be ignored.”
- Priyanka Chaturvedi is hopeful that the culprits will be found. “Sir, Thank you. With due respect, I had shared with you that besides blocking the platform punishing the offenders creating such sites is important. I hope the Home Minister`s Office and MEITY will support Mumbai Police to find these culprits and make them as well as platforms accountable,” she tweeted.
Suggested Reading : Coimbatore: 19-Year-Old Woman Dies By Suicide Over Morphed Photos