General Bipin Rawat, India’s Chief of Defence Staff(CDS) is among 13 personnel who have lost their life in the helicopter crash in Tamil Nadu today. Visuals of a damaged crashed chopper in flames have been making rounds on news. Indian Air Force official Twitter handle has confirmed of his death near Coonor.
“With deep regret, it has now been ascertained that Gen Bipin Rawat, Mrs Madhulika Rawat and 11 other persons on board have died in the unfortunate accident.”, reads the tweet of Indian Air Force. Tributes have been coming from all quarters for the deceased couple and others who died on the helicopter crash. President of India expressed shock and anguish over the untimely death of the General and his wife. He said, “The nation has lost one of its bravest sons. His four decades of selfless service to the motherland was marked by exceptional gallantry and heroism. My condolences to his family.”
As per reports, the mortal remains of General Rawat and his wife will be brought to Delhi in a military plane from Coimbatore. Before that there will be a wreath-laying ceremony at Wellington. The bodies will be brought to General Rawat’s residence where people will be able to pay their last respects between 11 am to 2 pm. The funeral procession will start from Kamraj Marg to Brar Square crematorium in Delhi Cantonment.
Bipin Rawat Death In Helicopter Crash: 10 Things To Know
1. The Russian made, Indian Air Force Helicopter crashed near Coonoor area of Tamil Nadu. General Bipin Rawat was on board with his wife Madhulika Rawat.
2. Along with CDS chief, the Defence Assistant, Security Commandos, Air Force personnel were also present on board.
3. General Rawat was on his way for the lecture to faculty and student officers at the Defence Staff College of Wellington in Nilgiri Hill district of Tamil Nadu when the incident took place. Reportedly, he was just 10 minutes away from the destination.
4. Prithvi Singh Chauhan, the Wing Commander, was the pilot of Indian Air Force’s Mi-17V5 which crashed with 14 people on board.
5. Crash took place after the helicopter took off from base station in Sulur, Coimbatore for Wellington.
6. Indian Air Force has ordered an enquiry to ascertain the cause of accident of the helicopter carrying General Rawat.
7.13 personnel travelling in the ill fated helicopter have been confirmed dead as per Indian Air Force’s statement. As per the sources, their identities will be confirmed through DNA Testing.
8. President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has cancelled the events after the incident. The New Delhi Durbar inauguration event where President was to appear as chief guest also stands cancelled.
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for Cabinet Committee on Security meeting today by 6:30 pm IST. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh went to Bipin Rawat’s residence in New Delhi soon after the incident.
10. The position of Chief of Defence Staff was created by the government in 2019 on the basis of Kargil Review Committee (KRC) in year 2000, so as to provide single point military advice to the political leadership in the country. General Bipin Rawat was appointed as the first Chief of Defence Staff of India and had assumed the office on January 1, 2020.
What Disease Did Your Father Have? Why is HIV still such a taboo?
Patriarchal Things Dads Should Not Say To Their Daughters But They Do
5 Indian Women Wedding Planners You Should Know About
Watch Trending Video Now: