Anshula Kant, who has been a Managing Director of the State Bank Of India and member of the Board since September 2018, has recently appointed as managing director and chief financial officer of the World Bank, its president David Malpass announced on Friday. “I am very pleased to appoint Anshula Kant as World Bank Group Managing Director and CFO. Anshula brings more than 35 years of expertise in finance, banking, and innovative use of technology through her work as CFO of the State Bank of India,” Malpass said, Financial Express reported.
- During her tenure as CFO of the SBI, Kant managed $38 billion of revenues and total assets of $500 billion
- Under her guidance, the bank has greatly improved the capital base and focused on the long-term sustainability
- Kant now will be responsible for financial and risk management of the World Bank Group
“She’s excelled at a diverse array of leadership challenges including risk, treasury, funding, regulatory compliance and operations. I look forward to welcoming her to our management team as we work to increase our effectiveness in supporting good development outcomes,” Malpass further added.
As Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer, Kant will manage financial and risk management of the World Bank Group, reporting to the President. Her other duties include oversight of financial reporting, risk management, and working closely with the World Bank CEO on mobilization of IDA and other financial resources.
“I look forward to welcoming her to our management team as we work to increase our effectiveness in supporting good development outcomes,” Malpass expressed.
Here are few things to know about the new appointee:
- She is a graduate in Economic Honours from Lady Shri Ram College for Women and a Post-Graduate in Economics from Delhi School of Economics.
- Prior to this appointment, Kant was serving as the bank’s Deputy Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) since May 2014 and June 2015. She has been a Managing Director and member of the Board since September 2018, the World Bank said.
- She took over the seat that was vacated by SBI MD B Sriram. He had resigned from the SBI MD post on June 30, days after he was appointed by the IDBI Bank.
- Anshula Kant, a graduate in Economic Honours, joined SBI as a probationary officer in 1983.
“When my father said that if I was to do engineering I would have to study in Roorkee, I decided against it and got admitted to Lady Shri Ram College to study economics,” says Kant, Economic Times reported.
- Her expertise lies in retail banking, corporate credit, cross-border trade and banking in developed markets – both retail and wholesale, her biography on SBI’s website said.
“I was a free bird at work,” says Kant. “My in-laws supported me so much that I never had to worry about my two children. They literally grew up with them.”
- Kant has also served as Chief General Manager of Mumbai SBI and was Deputy MD of Operations for National Banking Group.
- She has also been Shareholder Director at National Stock Exchange of India.
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.