Anise is a flowering plant commonly known as Aniseed. Its botanical name is Pimpinella Anisum and in Hindi, it is called, ‘Vilayti saunf’. Aniseeds have many medicinal values. It is grown in India and parts of Asia and also in Europe and Mexico.
Aniseed is used to add flavour to the dishes like curry, cakes, etc. Due of its aroma and taste, it is popularly used as a mouth refresher.
Read on to know more about the useful properties of Aniseed:
1) Aniseeds are a rich source of copper, potassium, iron and magnesium which are essential minerals for the formation of bones and prevent cardiac problems.
2) The seeds help in converting food into energy. The oil of anise can also be used to cure a cough and other throat infections. People also use its seeds in tea, which helps in preventing bronchial related problems.
3) Aniseeds can also improve digestion related problems, nausea and joint pain as well. The paste made from the seeds of anise, if applied on the forehead, help in curing migraine.
4) Aniseed oil also helps cure dental problems. It is used in beverages as an ingredient to add flavour. It finds further use in perfumes. It is said to cure cataract problems and remove irritation from eyes.
5) Essential oils extracted from the seeds of anise help in giving relief from depression, anxiety, menstrual cramps, menopausal related disorders, cough, etc.
6) It is antioxidant containing vitamin A and vitamin C, anti-fungal and antibacterial in nature and therefore used as a sensitizer or a stimulant.
7)The seeds, leaves and oil of anise herb are used for cooking in many Asian countries. The spice is particularly used in making confectionery items like biscuits, cakes, soaps, etc. which adds a unique flavour.
Pic Credit: NDTV Food