American model and activist, Amber Heard, is known for her roles in films like Never Back Down (2008), Drive Angry (2011), The Rum Diary (2011) and Aquaman (2018) as well as its upcoming 2023 DC Universe sequel, broke down in court during her trial with the Golden Globe Award-winner and three Academy Awards-nominee, Johnny Depp, her ex-spouse. Other than many big revelations, Heard and Depp’s courtroom reactions have gone viral big time.
Johnny Depp’s lawsuit against Amber Heard continues to make private life a public affair. As a married couple between 2015 and 2017, the defamation trial began on April 11 in Fairfax, Virginia, and has been heavily chased and covered by press and social media commentators. The defamation trial also follows a libel trial in the UK in 2020. The libel trial was against The Sun’s executive editor and publisher who was covering some of the issues in their relationship.
Suggested Reading: Shweta Tiwari And Other Female Actors Who Spoke Up Against Domestic Violence
Depp is said to be suing Heard for 50 million dollars over her op-ed column in the Washington Post which she had written in 2018 claiming about surviving sexual abuse. Heard wrote, “Like many women, I had been harassed and sexually assaulted by the time I was of college age. But I kept quiet -I did not expect filing complaints to bring justice. And I didn’t see myself as a victim.”
Although Depp was not named in the op-ed, it was complained by Depp’s legal team that Heard had held him as a domestic abuser. Back in 2016, she had also filed a divorce on the grounds of domestic violence caused by Depp. She had mentioned that he was a perpetrator of ‘violent’ and ‘volatile’ behavior, being under the influence of alcohol and drugs. Depp denied the allegations stating that he never hit her or any other woman in his lifetime.
Amber Heard Johnny Depp Case
- The couple met on the set of The Rum Diaries, a movie based on the Hunter S. Thompson novel. During Depp’s testimony, he had described how he kissed Heard during a shower scene, and talked about feeling something different in real time. He had said that he “should not be having such feelings” At the time, Depp was married to Vanessa Paradis, and Heard was in a relationship with photographer Tasya Van Ree.
- Depp and Heard started to date in 2012 and in 2014, the two got engaged, getting married the following year.
- However, in 2016, Heard filed for a divorce in the month of May, later filing for a restraining order as she claimed that Depp was abusive towards her.
- As a mark of evidence, she appeared before court with scars on her face. “He has a short fuse. He is often paranoid and his temper is extremely scary for me as it has proven many times to be physically dangerous and/or life-threatening to me,” she said to People.
- In 2019, according to Hollywood Reporter, Depp had thrown a phone at her, “as hard as he could.” However, Depp had denied the allegations.
- In 2018, in an op-ed for the Washington Post, Heard described her experiences with domestic abuse. Depp was not mentioned by name in the article, but believed the op-ed was about him. He sued her for alleged defamation.
- In August 2020, Heard counter-sued Depp, alleging that he had called her a liar, and coordinated a harassment campaign via Twitter by orchestrating online petitions in an effort to get her fired from Aquaman film franchise.
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.