When the entire nation is applauding the splendid first win of the Indian women cricketers over England in the World Cup Opener, it puts focus on a little less noticeable record-breaker -- India opener Deepti Sharma who scripted history by become the first player in a pair (with Punam Raut) to collect a 300-run stand in ODIs.
The duo hit centuries to score the highest partnership in women’s ODIs and made 320 against Ireland Women at Potchefstroom in South Africa in the Quadrangular series, took place on May 15, 2017.
Here are some things you should know about Deepti Sharma:
1. 19-year-old Sharma is a Left-handed batswoman in the team who holds various records in batting, bowling and partnership.
2. The youngest in a family of seven siblings, Deepti was inspired to get into cricket by her brother and father. When Deepti was just 9, she relentlessly pestered her father, Bhagwan Sharma, who is a retired chief booking supervisor with Indian Railways, to allow her brother Sumit to be her cricket coach.
3. She became more enthused the first time she held her brother's kit bag. Sumit is a former medium-pacer who represented Uttar Pradesh in the Under-22 CK Nayudu Trophy.
4. One day, Sumit took Deepti to one of his net sessions at the Ekalavya Sports Stadium in the Sharmas' hometown of Agra. Amidst his practice, Deepti's talent was spotted by Hemlata Kala, the former India batsman and current chairperson of the BCCI women's selection panel, who watched her hit the stumps with a ball in the first attempt. Kala asked Sumit about the girl with the "boy-cut" hairdo and said: "Let her play. This kid will represent India someday."
5. All-rounder Deepti made her T20 debut against Australia in Sydney in January 2016, playing in her first ICC WWT20.
6. This youngster from Uttar Pradesh has earned a great achievement so far -- becoming a part of a 320-run partnership by the Indian women's team -- the highest ever – male of female -- for a first wicket partnership. The highest among men is 286. Deepti with Poonam Raut scored 320 vs Ireland.
7. To name a few more records Deepti has made: she has hit 27 fours, which is the highest ever in an international women's cricket match.
8. The teenage player is the third youngest person to score 150 in international cricket -- a record set by a player across genders.
9. Deepti is a part of an elite club of under-20 players with 150s to their names which no has male cricketer has done till date.
10. Sharma is now the second highest scorer in women's ODIs with 188 score. Belinda Clark of Australia, who had scored 229 against Denmark in 1997, being the first one.
Name: Deepti Sharma
From: Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh
Age: 19 years
What: All-rounder: left-handed batsman, right-armed medium pacer
Highest score: 188 against Ireland
Strike rate: 63.18
Join Us on https://www.facebook.com/SheThePeoplePage
Follow Us on https://twitter.com/SheThePeopleTV