Oscar-winning actress Mira Sorvino, who is among the first woman to accuse Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment, has now revealed another sensational news that she is a date rape survivor. By revealing this, the actress is supporting to bring out stronger sexual assault laws in New York.

Sorvino made the revelation during a press conference on Wednesday, alongside New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. She is making the effort to encourage the state legislature to eliminate New York’s statute, which limits rape in the 2nd and 3rd degrees and pass additional sexual harassment protections before the end of the legislative session next week.

She has opened up about the ordeal, adding her name to the list of the whole #MeToo movement. Sorvino came out talking publicly about Weinstein’s alleged misconduct which in her own words had been traumatic, adding, “I have never said that last part ever in public because it is impossible sometimes to share these sort of things,” according to a CNN report.

Sorvino further added, “I can stand here before you and say not only was I a sexual harassment and battery victim at the hands of Mr Weinstein, but I’m also a sexual assault victim and I’m also a survivor of date rape.”

Read:Madonna’s Daughter Reignites the Armpit Hair Debate

She claimed she wanted to disclose the assault to help others. “I’m doing it here to try and help because there are all these survivors out there right now who need justice,” she said. The allegations go back in 2018 when the Mighty Aphrodite star accused Weinstein of sexual harassment when they were working on a project in 1995.

Sorvino’s name adds up to the list of more than 80 women who have accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct. She first made the allegations in an interview with the New Yorker in 2017

In response to Sorvino’s allegation, a representative for the former film producer said, “Ms Sorvino’s unfounded accusation of any physical assault or battery, or sexual contact at all by Mr Weinstein is not only complete and utter nonsense, but it is dismissed by her own words, conversations and previous professional relationship with Mr Weinstein.”

Last month, Weinstein and his former studio’s board members reached a tentative $44 million deal with his accusers to resolve lawsuits and compensate. However, a criminal case remains intact, including one brought by the actress Ashley Judd. Weinstein’s trial is set to begin on September 9.

Feature Image Credit: ABC News

Read More Stories By Ria Das 

Email us at connect@shethepeople.tv