Actor Munmun Dutta was booked under the Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act for making casteist remarks in one of her make-up videos.
The Taarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma fame had received severe backlash on social media for her remarks and the video had gone viral. The actor later apologised for using the casteist term and removed the video. However, the video was still doing rounds on social media.
This is Munmun Dutta, popularly known as Babita , at most famous TV serial Taarak Mehta…
She has a lot of fame & millions of people know her. All age groups, especially youth.
She Openly Using Casteist slur “bhangi” which is unconstitutional and Comes under SC/ST act. 1/2 pic.twitter.com/cB8gKsBbjG
— Ritesh (@outcastritesh) May 10, 2021
Here’s all you need to know about the case:
- According to a report, a First Information Report (FIR) was filed after a complaint filed by Rajat Kalsan, a member of the national alliance of Dalit Human Rights, in Haryana on Thursday.
- Earlier this week, Munmun Dutta was trending on micro-blogging site Twitter because of her offensive video. More than 26 thousand people tweeted about her using the hashtag #ArrestMunmunDutta.
- The actor had issued an apology letter in Hindi and English trying to explain her part. She claimed that the casteist term she used wasn’t intentional and that it happened because of the ‘language barrier’. She said that she was misinformed about the meaning of the word.
- A native of West Bengal and resident of Mumbai, Munmun Dutta did not receive positive responses after her apology as Netizens dubbed her apology an excuse.
- In the offensive video, Dutta had referred to a community belonging to the scheduled caste while applying blush on her cheeks and had said that she doesn’t want to look like them.
- After the video was criticised severely on social media, Dutta posted an apology in which she said,” I sincerely would like to apologize to every single person who have been unintentionally hurt by the usage of the word and I sincerely regret for the same.”
- Referring to the casteist remark, she wrote, ” I have utmost respect for every single person from every caste, creed or gender and acknowledge their immense contribution society or nation.”
— Munmun Dutta (@moonstar4u) May 10, 2021