Abdul Razzaq, a former Pakistani cricketer, has issued an apology for remarks regarding actor Aishwarya Rai that were deemed insensitive. These comments were made during a public panel earlier in the week, where he was accompanied by fellow former cricketers Umar Gul and Shahid Afridi, both of whom responded with applause and laughter to Razzaq's statements.
Abdul Razzaq faced backlash for his recent comment about Aishwarya Rai Bachchan during a press event, deemed distasteful by internet users.
5 Things To Know
1. While responding to Pakistan’s media inquiries about the ICC World Cup 2023 and the team's performance, Razzaq unexpectedly shifted focus to the Pakistan Cricket Board. In the midst of discussions about captain Younis Khan's intentions and the team's prospects, Razzaq made a controversial analogy, suggesting that Pakistan lacked the right intentions for nurturing and improving players. His reference to marrying Aishwarya Rai to supposedly ensure a virtuous child was widely criticised.
Check out the video here.
Abdul Razzaq is talking about "Neeyat" and shows his "badneeyat" by dragging in Aishwarya Rai for a shitty example and Shahid Afridi & others find it amusing and start clapping.— Incognito (@Incognito_qfs) November 14, 2023
This comment about Aishwarya Rai shows their mindset about Hindu women. The blatant kidnappings of… pic.twitter.com/NPgjuaLXG3
2. What stirred more controversy was the reaction of Shahid Afridi, who, instead of denouncing Razzaq's statement, was seen laughing and applauding during the event.
3. Following the comment's viral spread and the subsequent social media backlash, Razzaq offered an apology, stating that while discussing cricket-related examples, there was an inadvertent mention of Aishwarya Rai's name. He clarified that it wasn't intended and apologised for the mistake.
4. Shahid Afridi clarified that he initially laughed when Razzaq made the comment, not fully understanding its implications. Later, after reviewing the clip at home, he felt uncomfortable with Razzaq's statement. Afridi then decided to address the issue, intending to speak with Razzaq and request an apology, as he believed such comments should not target anyone.
5. Shoaib Akhtar criticised the comment, deeming the joke and the comparison highly inappropriate. "No woman should be disrespected like this. People seated beside him should have raised their voice right away rather than laughing & clapping," Shoaib Akhtar tweeted. He later mentioned conversing with Afridi regarding the matter and discovering that Afridi laughed without comprehending Razzaq's statement.
I just had a word with @SAfridiOfficial. He called & said that he genuinely did not understand what was said otherwise he would have condemned it there & then.— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) November 14, 2023
He has condemned it on TV as well and in clear words with me on the phone.
Suggested Reading: Odia Actress Mousumi Nayak Arrested Following Spat With Writer