9 Effective Ways To Boost Your Self-Esteem
Nothing is more important than how you feel about yourself. If you have a negative self-image then life seems valueless and shortcomings seem big. In order to succeed it is important to believe that you can.
Psychologist Bijal Seth, says, “To simplify self-esteem in simple words is ‘self-worth’. Your personality, attitude and outlook on life depend on the way you see yourself. The roots of it lie in our childhood experiences and the way we have learned to perceive the world. However, it’s never too late to introspect and enhance your self-esteem. After all, it feels good to get a self-check-up once in a while.”
Here are 9 effective steps that can help build self-esteem:
1) Positive Self-talk: Stop self-criticism, do not torture yourself for mistakes that you make. Remind yourself that you’re beautiful the way you are. Compliment when you make small accomplishments, praise yourself, and if the inner critic is trying to make noise, shout STOP at it.
2) Believe in the Compliments: The thumb rule to follow, if anyone points out a good quality in you, believe it. When you have a poor self-esteem, you’re likely to ignore the positive things about yourself.
3) Try Something New: Loving yourself and having a good self-esteem is a long-term goal that can be achieved over time, but learning something new, maybe cooking/baking lessons, dance, martial arts or some kind of sports. It is a good idea to start with a short course as small accomplishments will help you in concentrating on positive things.
4) Exercise: Have a workout routine, anything that interests you, a sport, or go for a swim, dance classes, yoga or even simple jogging, but be physically active. Exercising has a power to change your mood, as it releases endorphins– the happy hormone.
5) List out good things about yourself: Everybody has some unique qualities, list yours down, it can be anything, try to make yourself better at it, concentrating and working towards positive things about yourself can go a long way in boosting your self-esteem.
6) Read Books: Read what inspires you. Read about other people’s life struggles, how through the hard times they persevered, it is going to motivate you.
7) Do Things that you Enjoy: Take a break and do something that you really enjoy, take time out for doing things that you are passionate about and that make you happy.
8) Say bye-bye to Negativity: If you are surrounded by people who are “helping” you by constantly putting you down, it’s time to maintain some good distance. Constructive criticism is helpful, but saying negative things all the time is not.
9) Put Yourself First: It is very important to put yourself first, and let others know they can’t take you for granted. Learn to say no. It’s okay if people feel bad sometimes.