The world has been witness to some of the most dynamic women who were audacious enough to speak against the injustices they faced. One such woman was Mary Wollstonecraft. She is considered a pioneer for both feminist thought and an advocate for equality.
Mary Wollstonecraft had endured a difficult childhood. Lack of financial resources and archaic familial mindset were two reasons why she couldn’t have access to education She, however, was a self-educated woman who envisioned a reordered society. She was an ardent believer of the fact that women should have an independent mind and must be courageous enough to live their life on their own terms.
Read on to know 7 powerful quotes by Mary Wollstonecraft that stand relevant in today’s era as well.
1. If women be educated for dependence; that is, to act according to the will of another fallible being, and submit, right or wrong, to power, where are we to stop?
2. It is time to effect a revolution in female manners – time to restore to them their lost dignity. It is time to separate unchangeable morals from local manners.
3. Make women rational creatures, and free citizens, and they will quickly become good wives; – that is, if men do not neglect the duties of husbands and fathers.
Also Read: 10 Of Michelle Obama’s most stirring quotes
4. Strengthen the female mind by enlarging it, and there will be an end to blind obedience.
5. Women have seldom sufficient employment to silence their feelings; a round of little cares, or vain pursuits frittering away all strength of mind and organs, they become naturally only objects of sense.
6. Taught from infancy that beauty is woman’s scepter, the mind shapes itself to the body, and roaming round its gilt cage, only seeks to adorn its prison.
7. Women are degraded by the propensity to enjoy the present moment, and, at last, despise the freedom which they have not sufficient virtue to struggle to attain.
Our world needs more women like Mary Wollstonecraft who do not shy away from voicing their opinions against the misdeeds done by our patriarchal society. Her words have always given courage to young women by encouraging them to steer their own destiny.
Also Read: 7 Powerful Quotes By Bill Gates
Charvi Is An Intern With SheThePeople.TV