Kangana Ranaut symbolises one thing –unconventionality. Everything about her screams living life on your own terms, whether it is the feisty roles she chooses to portray on screen, her personal style statements, her public appearances and her quirky sense of humour. She left her home in the hills of Himachal to become an actress as a teenager and in the ten years that she has spent in Bollywood she has become her own brand. We admire this three time National Award winning actress for her courage and her sheer ability to fight back abuse and bullying. Here are 7 Film Roles That Make Kangana The Badass Bollywood Queen.
- Gangster (2006): Her debut movie in Bollywood, where she essayed the role of Simran, a girl who is depressed and irredeemably alcoholic. Kangana was just 16 at that time, but she essayed the role with great conviction.
- Life in a Metro (2007): This one boasted of well known actors like Irrfan Khan, Kay Kay Menon, Konkona Sen Sharma, but Kangana as Neha, a BPO employee, held her own in the film. She is in love with her married boss, Ranjit knowing well that he will never marry her.
- Fashion (2008): While the movie revolves around the character of Priyanka Chopra, it was Kangana Ranaut who stole the limelight. This performance fetched her National Award in the best supporting actress category. She portrayed the role of a supermodel Shonali Gujral who loses everything due to drug abuse. It is speculated that are role was based on a real life supermodel.
- Tanu weds Manu (2011): Tanuja Trivedi or Tanu is a small-town girl who is a rebel; she drinks, smokes and would get what she wants by hook or crook. In the beginning of the film Tanu rejects a matrimonial alliance arranged by the family with Manu as she is in love with local Goonda. Eventually she gets drawn to the same calm and sensible Manu or Manoj Sharma who is a NRI doctor in London. A fun film set in Lucknow and Kanpur; with a marriage as the backdrop it attained classic status for its humour, and for relatable characters.
- Krrish 3(2013): Inspired by Angelina Jolie’s Lara Croft, Ranaut played a villainess for the first time.
- Queen (2014): It is the story of Rani who gets dumped on the day of her mehandi. A Punjabi girl from Delhi she decides to go alone on her honeymoon to Paris and Amsterdam. The movie is the story of her transformation. She emerges out of the turmoil in her own way on her own terms. Though Rani is not badass in the exact sense of it but it is one of Kangana’s finest performances till date.
- Tanu weds Manu Returns (2015): Tanu and Manu came back on screen after four years of marriage. Their marriage had hit the rock bottom and the sassy Tanuja leaves her husband in a mental asylum in London and comes back home. The third wheel in the story is Kusum Sangwan(Datto) the sweet-natured Haryanvi girl who could effectively deliver karate chops, long jumps and hockey sticks. Kangana played both Tanu and Kusum managed to ace both of them.
Also Read: Kangana Ranaut Ready To Turn Director
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.