Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel inaugurated the ‘Safe City Project’ in Lucknow. It is a campaign launched for the safety of women. The governor said,”It is a movement of women police personnel in Lucknow which will inculcate a feeling of pride and safety for women in the city here.”
Here is a list of 6 things that you should know about Uttar Pradesh “Safe City Project”:
- “Safe City Project” is 180-day-long campaign under which the police and other departments will work towards safety of women.
- Lucknow is among eight cities in the country selected for this project.
- The UP Raj Bhavan told that the governor has flagged 100 pink scooties and 10 four-wheeler police vehicles towards this project.
- These vehicles have first-aid kit, flashlights and other facilities for women. The women personnel will combat crimes against women, which will make them feel secured.
- The central government has approved the project for Lucknow at a total cost of Rs 194 crore. It has an aim to strengthen security of women in public places.
- Additional Director General of Police (Women and Child Security) Neera Rawat mentioned that the cost of the project is divided between the centre and the state in a 60:40 ratio.
The UP governor said,”Crime against women is increasing, and in this scenario, the responsibility of society increases. If the schemes meant for woman are not properly implemented, they will lose their importance. Till such time that women are dependent on others socially or monetarily, they will be exploited. The women have to become empowered. There are people with criminal and perverted mindset, who derive pleasure by committing crime. Girls are harassed while going to schools. It is because of these people that women do not feel safe in the family. Police must identify these people, and act before they could commit crime.”