Delhi lockdown: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has announced a lockdown in Delhi, from 10 pm tonight to 6 am on Monday (April 26). “I appeal to Delhiites to follow lockdown which is necessary to reduce Covid cases. We will improve the health system during this time,” CM Kejriwal said.
Delhi Goes Under ‘Small Lockdown’
After a meeting between CM Kejriwal and Lieutenant-Governor Anil Baijal on April 19 to review the COVID-19 situation in Delhi, the decision of a week-long lockdown was taken to curb the spread of the virus.
It has been decided to impose a lockdown in Delhi, from 10 pm tonight to 6 am next Monday (26th April): Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal pic.twitter.com/hBB2qXpxpM
— ANI (@ANI) April 19, 2021
India has reported a shortage of vital health essentials such as hospital beds, oxygen cylinders and medicines like Remdesivir after it became the second-worst hit country by COVID-19.
“Less than 100 ICU beds are available in Delhi now. Oxygen too is short and we are in talks with the centre over its supply. This is the fourth wave in Delhi. Our health system hasn’t collapsed, but it is on edge… All systems have their limits… We announced the lockdown because there was no other option left,” CM Kejriwal said.
All You Need To Know About The Delhi Lockdown
- Essential services, food services and medical services will continue. Weddings to be held with a gathering of only 50 people, passes for the same will be issued separately.
- Private medical personnel exempted from the production of valid ID. Pregnant women/patients going for medical aid along with attendant exempted on the production of valid ID/doctor’s prescription/medical papers. Those going for testing/vaccination will be exempted from the production of valid ID.
- Incoming and outgoing persons coming from/going to Airports/Railway stations/ISBTs will be allowed to travel on the production of a valid ticket. Officials in the officers of diplomats of various countries as well as persons holding any constitutional post will be exempted on the production of valid ID.
- The curfew that is starting from 10 pm today and ending at 6 am on April 26 is aimed at improving the health system during this time and breaking the chain of transmission of the virus. CM Kejriwal assured arrangements for more beds in Delhi in the next six days. The six-day period will be used to arrange oxygen, medicine.
- CM Kejriwal has specially requested migrant workers to not leave the city during the lockdown.