From their grand weddings to the clothes they wear, the Royal Family of England has always fascinated the world. Today, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge or as she is popularly known, Kate Middleton, gave birth to her second child this morning, who is now fourth in line to the throne- after her father-in-law, Prince Charles, her husband Prince William and first child, Prince George.
So today, we give you a list of ten things you need to know about the mother or wife or daughter-in-law of the future King or Queen:
1. Now a princess, Kate Middleton was born to Michael and Caroline Middleton, who before turning entrepreneurs worked as a Pilot and a flight attendant, respectively. As a student she ran for the cross-country track team and played field hockey.
2. Kate received her education from some of the best academic institutes: she attended Marlborough College, an expensive boarding school, where she earned good grades; after which she attended the University of St. Andrews and earned a degree in History of Art.
3. She met her future husband; Prince William in 2001, at the University of St.Andrew’s and began dating in 2003. In 2007, they broke up for a short while before getting back together and later getting engaged in 2010.
4. At the time of her wedding in 2011, Middleton was 29 years old, almost half a year older than her husband and the oldest royal bride; most royal brides in the family being just in their teens at the time of their weddings.
5. Prior to her wedding to the Duke of Cambridge, she worked as a as an accessory buyer with the clothing chain Jigsaw and then at her parents’ company, Party Pieces, where she was in-charge of catalogue design, production, marketing and photography.
6. Apart from these, Middleton had plans to open a bakery with her brother and wished to share the profits with the disadvantaged youth. She was also seriously interested in pursuing photography- a plan she dropped prior to her engagement.
7. Admired for her sense of style, she has been considered a fashion icon since she and Prince William started dating. Often featured on best dressed lists, Middleton has also been featured number one on Vanity Fair’s annual Best Dressed lists in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
8. Kate Middleton has been involved with a number of charities including the ‘East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices’, a charity of which she is a patron. Later in 2011, she also became a patron of The Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry.
9. Post her wedding; Kate Middleton came to be known as “Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge,” and her full title being “Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus.” She has also featured in TIME magazine’s ‘The 100 Most Influential People in the World’ list.
10. Today, she became a mother of two as she gave birth to her second child this morning. Post the changes in British royal succession law to adopt absolute primogeniture; Kate’s new born daughter, despite being a female is now fourth in line to the throne.
[Featured Picture Courtesy: The Loop]