It is not a good idea to wait for major symptoms to get manifested in our body and then decide to get ourselves tested. The lifestyle of this generation is deteriorating with the consumption of junk food and hectic schedules, especially for women who take care of both their professional life as well as in most scenarios the household chores.
According to experts, a woman’s body reacts quite differently to heart diseases and has higher risks of mortality within just a year of the heart attack. Women’s bodies don’t respond as positively to clot-dissolving meds as men’s bodies would. Also, usually, women undergo necessary cardiac exams at the later stage of life to make sure their heart is not weak and unhealthy. However, as women are more to prone to heart attacks, women must take regular heart-related tests. Given the situation, women should regularly take health check-ups. Among them taking routine cardiac exams is important. Here is a list of a few cardiac examinations advised for women in the age group of 20-60.
Cardiac Examinations For Women
Cardiac examinations for women between 20-40 age
- Lipid Profile Test– A lipid profile test or a cholesterol test is a kind of blood test which is to measure the percentage of triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood. It is mainly used to determine the chances of fatty deposit buildup in the body that can block or make the arteries narrow leading to heart disease.
- Electrocardiogram(ECG)- Electrocardiogram records the electrical signals in the heart to detect heart problems and risks like blocked or narrowed arteries, arrhythmias, cardiomyopathy, etc. In general, it also helps to monitor heart health.
- Fasting blood sugar- This is a type of test that helps to measure the blood sugar level after having to fast overnight. A blood sugar level after fasting of less than 100 mg/dL is considered completely normal, between 100 to 125 mg/dL is considered prediabetes, and 126 mg/dL or high is considered diabetes.
Cardiac examinations for women between 40-60 age
- Echocardiography – Also popularly known as Sestamibi stress or the nuclear test is a test that evaluates blood flow through the heart and into the valves of the heart. It can also be considered an ultrasound of the heart. It is one of the most used diagnostic imaging modalities in the world of cardiology and can provide information like the location and extent of any tissue damage in the heart, size, shape, pumping capacity, etc.
- Treadmill exercises stress test- It is a test used to determine the total effect of exercising on the heart of the patient. It allows for detecting diagnose the presence or absence of coronary artery disease and abnormal heart rhythms. This involves walking on a treadmill at the same time monitoring the electric activity of the heart. It will determine how well your heart functions with stress from different kinds of exercises.
- CT Coronary Angiography- Computerised tomography coronary angiography is a type of imagining test, which looks at the arteries that supply blood to the heart of the one taking this test. It uses a powerful X-ray machine that produces images of the heart as well as its vessels and is used to diagnose various heart diseases such as narrowed or blocked arteries or other heart conditions.