Prajakta Koli Daytime Emmy: In what is a momentous event for India’s YouTube creators, social media sensation Prajakta Koli is now on the credit roll of a documentary that has been nominated for a Daytime Emmy.
Creators for Change, which also features former First Lady Michelle Obama, actor Liza Koshy and media personality Thembe Mahlaba, is competing in the Outstanding Daytime Non-Fiction Special category at the 48th ceremony to be held later this year.
Koli, reacting to the nomination, says, “This news is unbelievable. The Emmys are such prestigious awards. Being nominated for a project this special is a win in itself. Big hugs to YouTube and Michelle Obama for giving me the opportunity of being a part of something so amazing.” Read about Koli’s journey here.
5 Things To Know About Prajakta Koli Daytime Emmy Nomination
1. Creators for Change is a YouTube Original documentary focusing on girls’ rights, with a spotlight on education and safety, across India, Vietnam and Namibia via an Obama Foundation program, Girls Opportunity Alliance.
2. The documentary primarily questions: “what does it really mean to educate a girl?” and probes why 98 million adolescent girls aren’t attending school. It began streaming March 17, 2021.
3. Each creator – Koli, Koshy and Mahlaba – travel to different countries and work closely with grassroots organisations on the resources and rights of adolescent girls.
4. About the project, Obama said on Instagram, “They’re sharing these stories, which showcase how education can transform girls’ lives and create a ripple effect for communities.”
5. Koli, who is set to make her Bollywood debut with Jugg Jugg Jeeyo, is already an international star in her own right. Apart from her YouTube videos finding fame across the globe, her short film Khayali Pulao will be screened at the prestigious New York Indian Film Festival in June this year.
Watch Creators for Change here: