Kangana Ranaut Controversies: However much the actor is applauded for her acting skills in films like Queen, Manikarnika, Tanu Weds Manu and more, the social media remains split about the actor’s idealogies, beliefs and outright controversial statements. Some call her the ‘Queen of acting’ and some ‘queen of madness’. This is not surprising considering the number of times Ranaut tweeted or posted or spoke words that unfailingly made their way to the headlines. And not always for a good reason.
In an interview recently the actor said India got its ‘real freedom’ in 2014 and that the freedom from Britishers in 1947 was given as ‘bheek‘ (alms). Over this comment, an Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Preeti Menon filed a First-Person Report (FIR) against Ranaut over the seditious remark. Soon, Varun Gandhi and Congress Party also took to social media to call the actor out while political parties like Shiv Sena demanded that the Padma Shri awards and the four national awards won by the actor be taken away.
This controversy comes on the heels of another one recently when Kangana Ranaut endorsed children bursting crackers during Diwali.
Here are five times that Kangana Ranaut hit the headline for all wrong reasons:
– The Defamation Case By Javed Akhtar. The veteran lyricist Javed Akhtar filed a defamation case against Kangana Ranaut under sections 499 and 500 of the Indian Penal Code in November 2020. Akhtar had filed the case after Ranaut made defamatory comments on him and linked him to Sushant Singh Rajput’s death during a television interview in June. Kangana alleged that Javed Akhtar had asked her to apologise to Hritik Roshan for damaging his reputation in 2016.
– The Hritik Roshan-Kangana Ranaut Breakup. Kangana Ranaut in an interview said that “exs do silly thing to get attention” referring to Hritik Roshan. The latter had reportedly denied working with Ranaut in Aashiqui 3. This triggered a response from Roshan on Twitter. After which were a long road of legal battles and public fights between the two. The case went cold after 2017.
– Oxygen: When the entire nation was going through turmoil with regards to lack of oxygen, hospital beds, COVID-19 deaths, the actor initiated another controversy on Twitter asking people to focus on the environment and plant more trees. “Everybody is building more and more oxygen plants, getting tons and tons of oxygen cylinder, how are we compensating for all the oxygen that we are forcefully drawing from the environment? It seems we learnt nothing from our mistakes and catastrophes they cause #PlantTrees,” she tweeted.
– Social media feuds with Diljit Dosanjh and Priyanka Chopra. Posting the widely circulated image f a protester planting a flag during the Republic Day farmer’s protest of 2021, the actor tagged Dosanjh and Chopra who are supporters of the farmers’ movement. She asked the two actors to explain the event since it had made the country a laughing stock in front of the world. In her previous tweets, she had accused the actors of ‘misleading the farmers.
– The actor’s Twitter account was suspended. After her posts on the Bengal violence repeatedly violated Twitter’s policy on “hateful conduct and abusive speech” the microblogging site suspended her account.