Bill and Melinda Gates Divorce: Bill and Melinda Gates announced they were separating after 17 years of marriage earlier this month. The couple said that “After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have the decision to end our marriage.”
Co-founder of Microsoft Bill Gates is the world’s fourth-richest person. He and his wife had created the philanthropic organisation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Since its conception in 2000, the foundation reportedly spent 53.8 billion dollars on initiatives related to global health.
Revelations About The Gates’ Divorce
- After the Gates divorce announcement, the couple revealed that they will remain as co-chairs and trustees of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. They said that their philanthropy would not be impacted by the separation.
- After the announcement of the divorce, the connection between Gates and Jeffrey Epstein resurfaced. The Wall Street Journal reported that Melinda Gates began consulting divorce lawyers the same month The New York Times published a report that Bill’s relationship with Epstein went as far back as 2011.
- The New York Times also reported that an engineer in Microsoft “alleged in a letter that she had a sexual relationship over the years with Mr Gates”. The Times said that Gates pursued women that worked for him at Microsoft and at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Microsoft confirmed that an investigation took place two years ago in 2019 after it was brought before the board of directors. The Wall Street Journal said that Gates resigned before the investigation was completed.
- Gates acknowledged that he had an extramarital affair with a Microsoft employee through a spokesperson. Spokesperson Bridgitt Arnold said that “There was an affair almost 20 years ago which ended amicably.”
- According to a source, Gates told his golf friends before the announcement of the divorce that the marriage was a “loveless one” and that they had been “living separate lives”.
- The billionaire couple did not have a prenuptial agreement or prenup. Melinda’s divorce petition said the couple has a “separation contract” and she asked the court the dissolve the marriage between them, and find that their marital community ended on the date stated in the contract.