Konkona Sen Sharma starrer The Rapist: Filmmaker Aparna Sen has completed the shooting of her upcoming film The Rapist, which stars actors Konkona Sen Sharma, Arjun Rampal and Tanmay Dhanania in lead roles.
The shooting of the film went on floors in New Delhi in March. The post-production for the project is currently underway. "It's a wrap! Filming concludes for our first feature film, The Rapist," the official Twitter account of Applause Entertainment wrote.
It’s a wrap! Filming concludes for our first feature film, The Rapist, produced by Applause Entertainment in collaboration with #QuestFilms & directed by the incredible @senaparna. This sensitive, unflinching drama stars the impeccable @konkonas @rampalarjun and @tanmaydhanania. pic.twitter.com/5Gesm58v9v— Applause Entertainment (@ApplauseSocial) April 7, 2021
Here's everything you need to know about the film directed by filmmaker Aparna Sen:
1. The Aparna Sen directorial is said to be a “hard-hitting drama that examines how much of society is responsible for producing rapists.” Sen had earlier mentioned that the story will revolve around the serious topic of rape. She had stressed that various societal issues like sexual violence, sexual trauma, and restorative justice while exploring the aftermath of the crime, will be a part of the storyline.
2. It also delves into the circumstances around the victims, survivors and how a woman deals with the entire episode, Sen had said. It is a "sensitive, unflinching drama", according to her statement.
3. The Rapist will mark the reunion of the mother-daughter duo of Aparna Sen and Konkona Sen Sharma. They both worked on several successful films together including the National Award-winning, Mr. And Mrs. Iyer.
4. Konkona and Rampal will also share the screen space for the second time after working together in Venod Mitra's 2013 independent anthology film Meridian Lines chronicled the story of seven troubled strangers.
5. The Rapist is believed to be like any other Aparna Sen's socio-political-themed projects such as 36 Chowringhee Lane (1981), Paroma (1984), Yugant (1995) etc.
6. The much-awaited film will mark the filmmaker's third Hindi outing after Saari Raat (2015) and the highly intellectual Sonata (2017) revolving around three middle-aged women.
7. Speaking about her upcoming film, Aparna said, "Women never came forward to denounce their rapists because they knew it would be useless and it would be they who would be held responsible anyway." She had further said that most women often avoid speaking up out of fear of breaking up the family. However, the situation has changed "radically", she claimed.
8. She said that there are many powerful laws in workplaces where sexual abuse is taken very seriously today and “strong action is taken against the perpetrators”.
9. After wrapping up his portion last month, Rampal dedicated a heartfelt note to the director and the team saying that the journey has been "fulfilling" and "intense". He shared pictures from the sets and praised Aparna Sen for her "vision and clarity" and, most importantly, he hailed that "her passion, her stamina and hard work has been so humbling and enriching." He went on to call Konkona "one of the finest actors in our country" and thanked her for being so "kind and so effortlessly cool".
10. Tanmay Dhanania, who plays an important role in the film, also shared pictures from the set and jokingly announced that "it’s a picture wrap and I can finally eat."
Feature Image Credit: Applause Entertainment/Twitter