Is it Meghan Markle vs Buckingham Palace? Buckingham Palace yesterday stated “we are clearly very concerned about allegations” referring to the article in The Times.
As the teasers of the interview took over social media, with the show host promising viewers “there is no subject that is off limits” the world has been waiting with bated breath to see the Royals, Prince Harry and Duchess of Sussex, speak to American talk show host Oprah Winfrey. The two-hour interview, where the couple talks about why they quit the royal roles, is slated to air on Sunday in the US. Many have termed this as the public airing of the royal laundry.
Tension seems to be escalating, as on Wednesday evening the Buckingham Palace announced that its HR department would investigate accusations by a former employee that Meghan Markle bullied her staff. On the other hand, a second snippet from the interview the Duchess can be heard saying, “I don’t know how they could expect that after all of this time we would still just be silent, if there is an active role that The Firm is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us.” “The Firm” is an informal term used for the Palace. She goes on to say, “And, if that comes with risk of losing things, I mean, I … there is a lot that has been lost already.”
The palace statement said “we are clearly very concerned about allegations” contained in an article Wednesday in The Times of London. The Times London reported that Meghan Markle was accused in a 2018 complaint of bullying staff, especially young women, “to the point of tears,” pushed two personal assistants “out of the household” and undermined confidence in a third during her time at Kensington Palace.
A spokesperson for the couple has stated: “It’s no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining the duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and the duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years.”
The major chunk of the interview will be between Meghan Markle and the show host, the Prince will join them at the end. It will be aired in the UK on 8 March on ITV at 9 pm.
It has been reported the Queen of England will giver her speech on Commonwealth Day, March 7, right before when Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey will go air.
Earlier this week, the 39-year-old was awarded 450,000 pounds ($630,000) as a provisional payment towards her legal costs. A London High Court ruled in her favour and against the Mail on Sunday which had printed extracts of a letter she wrote to her father. The Duchess had sued publisher Associated Newspapers for the invasion of privacy and copyright infringement over five articles published in February 2019.
Markle her husband Harry and son Archie are now based in the US. The couple is pregnant with their second child. Last month that Buckingham Palace confirmed that the couple won’t be returning as working members of the royal family. Harry and Meghan shocked Britain and the world last year when they stepped back from royal duties. This is the first TV interview for Harry and Meghan together after they moved to California last year.
In an earlier teaser from the aforementioned interview, Prince Harry says, “I’m just really relieved and happy to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side.”. Adding, “Because I can’t imagine what it must have been like for her (Diana), going through this process by herself all those years ago.” He was referring to his mother Princess Diana, who was hounded by the British press and died at age 36 in a car crash in Paris after her divorce from Prince Charles.