#SheStars

Woman Dies After Saree Catches Fire At Posh Ahmedabad Hotel: 10 Things To Know

woman kills husband, man kills wife for delayed dinner, Ghaziabad man kills wife for dowry, girl mauled to death
On January 31, a middle-aged woman from Ahmedabad, Gujarat succumb to burn injuries and passed away. She was battling for her life at a hospital for days after saree caught fire at a five-star hotel’s buffet. The 54-year-old woman was brought to the hospital in critical condition and succumbed to the injuries during treatment.

This incident took place at a five-star hotel and the staff there had initially tried to douse the fire but to no avail. The deceased woman had sustained 60 percent burn injuries on her front section of the body. This incident was considered accidental death. According to the latest National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), India record 9329 fire accidents in 2020. 468 people were injured while 910 died due to it. In this, the number of women deaths are higher. Out of the total accidents, 4954 women died as compared to 4156 men.

Saree Catches Fire At Ahmedabad Hotel: Ten Things To Know

– The accident took place on January 26 following which the woman was taken to hospital for treatment, where she succumbed to her injuries on January 31.


Suggested Reading: “The Home, The Most Likely Place For A Woman To Be Killed…”


– The incident took place in Ellisbridge, Ahmedabad at Four Points By Sheraton, which is a part of the Marriott hotel group.

– According to reports, the woman has been identified as Rashmika Shah and her age was 54-years-old.

– She was accompanied by her husband to an official dinner party at the hotel.

– She wore a synthetic saree for the party.

– According to a Times of India report, her synthetic saree touched the chafing dish while she was standing in the buffet line.

– The staff present at the event in the banquet hall tried to douse the fire but to no avail.

– She was then rushed to a civil hospital with 60 percent of the burn on the front part of her body.

– The investigating officers have registered the incident as a case of accidental death.

– The Police Sub Inspector HV Ghela told TOI that when the deceased was filling her plate at the buffet, her synthetic saree touched the fuel of the chafing dish and it caught fire immediately.

Feature Image Credit: NDTV