Raj Kundra case timeline: On Monday, July 19, the British-Indian businessman Raj Kundra was arrested by the Mumbai Police on charges of creating pornographic films and publishing them through mobile apps.
Kundra has been accused of being a key conspirator in creating and published pornographic content online. The police stated that they have enough evidence against him. Kundra, however, has denied all charges and applied for anticipatory bail. After his arrest, his tweets on porn v/s prostitution and politicians watching porn from 2012 started doing rounds on the internet.
#WATCH | Actress Shilpa Shetty's husband & businessman Raj Kundra appeared before the Property Cell of Mumbai Police's Crime Branch, where he was arrested in a case relating to 'creation of pornographic films & publishing them through some apps' pic.twitter.com/mtlM4pYCc3
— ANI (@ANI) July 19, 2021
Raj Kundra case timeline: here’s what we know
- Hemant Nagrale, The Mumbai Police commissioner on Monday confirmed Raj Kundra’s arrest in a statement. It said that there was a case registered with Crime Branch Mumbai in February 2021 about the creation of pornographic films and publishing them through some Apps. It further stated that Raj Kundra was the ‘key conspirator’ in the matter. Therefore, he was arrested.
- Kundra has been reportedly booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code as well as other sections of the IT Act and the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act. Before the arrest, the Crime branch called him for questioning. He has denied the charges and applied for an anticipatory bail.
- The case is under investigation since the beginning of this year. Nine people were arrested in this regard including model and actor Gehana Vasisth. Reports say that Raj Kundra’s name surfaced in the probe after the property cell discovered the involvement of a UK production company. The police arrested its executive, Umesh Kamat. A former employee of Raj Kundra, he allegedly uploaded at least eight “pornographic and obscene” videos shot by Gehna Vasisth on a social media app. The police suspect that Kundra has a stake in Kenrin.
- The Property Cell of Mumbai Police’s Crime Branch took Raj Kundra for a medical examination at JJ hospital. From there he was later taken to Mumbai Police Commissioner’s office where he spent the night in the custody of the Crime Branch. He will be produced before the CMM Court, also known as Killa Court in the second half of Tuesday, July 20.
- Kundra’s old tweets from 2012 are now doing rounds on the internet. One of his tweets read, “Ok so here go’s Porn Vs Prostitution. Why is it legal to pay someone for sex on camera? How is one different to the other??” while another said, “India: Actors are playing cricket, Cricketers are playing politics, Politicians are watching porn and Porn stars are becoming actors….!”
Actress Shilpa Shetty's husband & businessman Raj Kundra has been taken for medical examination at JJ hospital by Property Cell of Mumbai Police's Crime Branch
He was later taken to Mumbai Police Commissioner's office. pic.twitter.com/Nvv8zd3nY2
— ANI (@ANI) July 19, 2021