Wimbledon Gets Cancelled After 75 Years. Athletes React
Originally scheduled to be held between 29 June and 12 July, Wimbledon – the oldest Grand Slam tennis tournament — is the latest among major sporting events to get cancelled because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. This is the first time since World War II that Wimbledon has been cancelled. It was a joint decision by All England Club (AELTC) and the Committee of Management of The Championships.
As per BBC report, no professional tennis tournament will be held until at least 13 July.
Other summer sporting events called off were the French Open, Euro 2020 and the Tokyo Olympics, which has been postponed for 12 months. “This is a decision that we have not taken lightly, and we have done so with the highest regard for public health and the wellbeing of all those who come together to make Wimbledon happen,” said Ian Hewitt, All England Lawn Tennis Club chairman.
- Wimbledon gets cancelled after 75 years due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- “I’m Shooked,” wrote Serena Williams expressing her disappointment on Twitter after All England Club (AELTC) and the Committee of Management of The Championships cancelled Wimbledon 2020.
- This is the first time since the Second World War that Wimbledon has been cancelled.
How women athletes reacted
Expressing how upsetting this announcement was for her, Serena Williams, who has won the tournament seven times, wrote, “I’m Shooked,” on Twitter.
I’m Shooked https://t.co/dS0cNcCdm0
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) April 1, 2020
Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza also expressed sadness on Twitter. After two years of maternity break, Mirza was hoping to make a mark but is disappointed due to the cancellation of the Grand Slam. She tweeted:
— Sania Mirza (@MirzaSania) April 1, 2020
She won the women’s doubles title of 2015 Wimbledon with former World No.1 Martina Hingis.
Wimbledon is not only a major event for stalwarts like Williams to showcase their stable form, but it is a huge deal for the younger generation too. Fifteen-year-old Coco Gauff, the youngest WTA winner, said, “I’m gonna miss playing in Wimbledon this year. Stay safe everyone, love you guys.”
i’m gonna miss playing in @Wimbledon this year💔. Stay safe everyone, love you guys❤️🥺
— Coco Gauff (@CocoGauff) April 1, 2020
The talented American tennis prodigy made a stunning breakthrough at Wimbledon last year, scoring an impressive straight-set win over Venus Williams, one of her tennis idols.
A promising teenage player Simona Halep, who was set to defend her singles titles, took to her Twitter account and wrote:
“So sad to hear Wimbledon won’t take place this year. Last year’s final will forever be one of the happiest days of my life! But we are going through something bigger than tennis and Wimbledon will be back! And it means I have even longer to look forward to defending my title.”
So sad to hear @Wimbledon won’t take place this year. Last year’s final will forever be one of the happiest days of my life! But we are going through something bigger than tennis and Wimbledon will be back! And it means I have even longer to look forward to defending my title 🤗 pic.twitter.com/PmppwUuKtD
— Simona Halep (@Simona_Halep) April 1, 2020
The 27-year-old tennis star beat Serena Williams and has earned the biggest prize money at Wimbledon 2019 with £2.35m.
Former women’s singles World No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo tweeted on Tuesday: “I think that we are going to have to draw a line under the 2020 tennis season. The international circuit = male and female players of all nationalities including their coaching staff, spectators and people from all over the world who bring these events to life. No vaccine = no tennis.”
Feature Image Credit: Men’s Health