Who Is Seema Kushwaha: The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) has appointed Seema Kushwaha as its national spokesperson. With this, she has scripted history by becoming the party’s first woman spokesperson. She is the lawyer in the Nirbhaya case and also the lawyer for the Hathras victim.
In a statement, the party said that she had been at the forefront of fighting cases of crime against women. She also played a monumental role in getting women justice from lower courts up to the Supreme Court. “Kushwaha has been appointed the party’s spokesperson by BSP chief Mayawati. Not only is she an exceptional lawyer but also does social service. She has good influence among the Maurya, Shakya and Kushwaha communities in west Uttar Pradesh, Etawah and Bundelkhand. In future she will also be given bigger responsibility,” said a party functionary.
Here’s what you need to know about her
- She was born on 10 January in 1982.
- She has been an advocate at the Supreme Court of India since 2014.
- She was born in a small village Ugrapur, Gram Panchayat Bidhipur Block Mahewa Tehsil Chakarnagar in Etawah district of Uttar Pradesh.
- She pursued her graduation in LL.B. from Kanpur University in 2005.
- She also has an M.A. in Political Science.
- When the Nirbhaya case took place in 2012, she was a law trainee demanding justice for the woman by participating in protests.
- She was officially made the lawyer in the case in 2014.She demanded capital punishment for the accused persons in the case.
- In 214, she joined the Nirbhaya Jyoti Trust as their legal advisor which is a foundation founded by the parents of the deceased woman in the Nirbhaya case.
- The four adult convicts were executed by hanging at Tihar Jail on 20 March, 2020.
- Kushwaha also represented the woman who was raped and then cremated by the police in Hathras, Uttar Pradesh.