Bihar, often referred to as the epicentre of politics in North India, is probably in for a transition of political power. After the seventeenth Legislative Assembly elections, a waft of the Narendra Modi wave is evident in the state. Though Nitish Kumar has taken oath as the Chief Minister for a sixth term, he must be wary of the rising of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in his realm. While BJP won 74 seats in the coalition, Janata Dal(United) could only grab 43 seats.
Amidst all of this political tension, one woman who is making the headlines after the elections is Renu Devi. A successful career in Indian politics is a big deal in a country that punishes successful women in politics. Here’s more about the new Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Renu Devi.
Also Read: Renu Devi From Extremely Backward Caste Becomes First Woman Deputy CM Of Bihar
Here is a list of 10 things you should know about Renu Devi
- Renu Devi has got elected from Bettiah to the Legislative Assembly of Bihar 4 times previously. Once in 2000,2010, 2020 and twice in 2005. She is a former National Vice President of BJP.
- She joined the party in the year 1988 as a part of its Mahila Morcha or women’s wing. But she had started her career in politics as a social activist back in 1981.
- Her interest in politics was led by an inspiration from her mother who was associated with the Sangh Parivar. Hence her close association with Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh(RSS) since childhood.
- Renu Devi went to Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar Bihar University located in Muzaffarpur for her college.
- She belongs to the Noniya caste of the large Baniya community in Bihar. Also known as Teli in some parts, the Noniya caste is one of the Extremely Backward Classes (EBC). Caste is an important factor in elections.
- Renu Devi will be sharing the office along with Tarkishore Prasad as the 5th Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar and the first woman to the office.
- In 1999, she had become the head of the women’s wing of the party in the Champaran region in Bihar. Also, she served as the wing’s state head in 1993 as well as in 1996.
- Renu Devi also was the Minister of Sports, Arts, and Culture in the Bihar State Government from 2005 to 2009.
- She faced failure in her career too when had contested her first election for the BJP in 1995 from the Nautan Assembly seat and lost. She is didn’t hold back after that and went on to become MLA 4 times.
- A mother of 2 and a widow, 62-year-old Renu Devi has made a big political statement not just for herself but for many women in politics after her win in the 2020 Bihar elections.
Malavika M S is an intern with SheThePeople.TV