Who Is Charanjit Singh Channi: After Amarinder Singh resigned as Punjab Chief Minister, Congress leader Charanjit Singh Channi is all set to be the next Chief Minister of Punjab. Since today morning, however, Metoo has been trending on social media platforms after BJP leader Amit Malviya, who is its IT department head tweeted, “Congress’s CM pick Charanjit Channi faces action in a 3-year-old MeToo case. He had allegedly sent an inappropriate text to a woman IAS officer in 2018. It was covered up but the case resurfaced when Punjab Women’s Commission sent notice. Well done, Rahul.”
Here’s what you need to know about Charanjit Singh Channi
- Born in the village of Makrona Kalan, he read law at Panjab University and has an MBA from PTU Jalandhar. He has always been fond of academics.
- He is married and has two children.
- He is set to become the first Chief Minister of Punjab from the Scheduled Caste community.
- At present, he is the Technical Education Minister of Punjab.
- He is a three-time MLA from Chamkaur Sahib constituency.
- Before that, Channi was the leader of opposition in the Punjab assembly from 2015 to 2016.
- In the Captain Amarinder Singh’s government in March 2017, he was made a minister.
- He was involved in a #MeToo case pending against Mr Channi for allegedly sending an inappropriate text to a woman IAS officer in 2018. The woman didn’t file a complaint and he had then said the issue was “resolved”.
- The case came to limelight again in May this year when the Punjab Women’s Commission sent notice to the state government asking for its response to the allegation.
- He is an ardent believer of astrology.
- On the advice of an astrologer, Channi allegedly constructed an illegal road from a park outside his official residence in Sector 2 which was demolished by the Chandigarh authorities.