Ashli Babbit is a protestor who was fatally shot reportedly by Capitol Police in Washington D.C. This incident happened when hundreds of Donald Trump supporters entered the Capitol building to overturn Trump’s election defeat. Babbit got a fatal bullet on her chest in the commotion as the protestors headed inside Capitol. As per reports, a video footage captured the gunshot, which shows Babbit crumpling to the floor. She was apparently shot by Capitol Police, law-enforcement sources told The New York Post.
An investigation has now been launched into her death. The identity of Ashli Babbit was confirmed by a San Diego news outlet called KUSI news. The deceased women was based out of San Diego. KUSI News spoke with her husband. Her husband reportedly said Babbit was a passionate supporter of Trump. The Metropolitan Police Department claimed that an investigation into her death was now well underway.
Babbit’s mother-in-law told The New York Post that neither she nor her son had been notified about her death and found out about the incident on television. “I really don’t know why she decided to do this,” she added, as per a reporter’s tweet.
Who is Ashli Babbit? Here’s all you need to know.
- Ashli Babbit is an Air Force vet from California, who publicly spoke about supporting Trump.
- Babbit was part of the protestors who stormed into the American Capitol building to overturn Trump’s defeat. The mob interrupted usual proceedings at the Capitol and led to a lockdown.
- The violence led by the mob halted the ongoing debate over Joe Biden’s election win. The US Congress will have to reconvene again to proceed.
- Babbit had 14 years in Air Force service and lived near San Diego.
- The pro-Trump supporters smashed windows and clashed with police. During this clash Babbit was reportedly shot. After being transported to a local hospital in critical condition Babbit was pronounced dead, reported Fox 5.
- Ahead of the protest, New York Post reported Ashli Babbit had tweeted (though the tweet is not on her timeline anymore), “Nothing will stop us….”
- Protesters tore down metal barricades at the bottom of the Capitol’s steps and were met by officers in riot gear.
- Babbit’s handle on Twitter shows retweets of footage of protesters gathering and she wished them “Gods speed”. Babbit as per reports declared January 6 as the day Republicans “start winning”.
- Babbit’s husband spoke to KUSI News, and described her as a strong Trump supporter and a ‘great patriot’ to everyone who knew her. As per news reports, he had not accompanied Babbit to Washington, DC.
- After the incident, Facebook, Twitter decided to block Trump’s account temporarily.
- She was once charged with dangerous driving and property damage but was later acquitted of those charges.
- Babbit’s ex-girlfriend had filed for a protection order as she accused Ashli Babbit of verbal threatening. Babbit allegedly followed her and rear-ended her car three times.
- Extremism experts after assessing her tweets have said that Babbit was a firm believer of conspiracy theories such as QAnon.
Reactions on social media have been from different quarters. Here are some:
— Lumen Addy (@Lumenaddy) January 7, 2021
An unarmed mother was shot and killed by police in the Capitol today. Why isn’t “say her name” trending? Why aren’t any of the people who rioted over “police brutality” speaking out? Is it because you’re all utterly full of shit?
— Matt Walsh (@MattWalshBlog) January 7, 2021
Before she was shot, here are tweets Babbit retweeted from her handle:
Ashli Babbit also retweeted the following tweet by Lin Wood.
This is a developing story.