US Senator Elizabeth Warren Announces Prez Run: Know Her
US Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren recently announced that she is establishing an exploratory committee to consider a presidential run in 2020. This move will allow Warren to boost and increase her fundraising.
Here are a few things you should know about her:
- Warren lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- She is a graduate of the University of Houston and Rutgers School of Law.
- The Senator has earlier worked as a professor of law, and taught at the University of Texas School of Law, the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and most recently at Harvard Law School.
- In September 2011, Warren had announced her candidacy for the Senate, challenging Republican incumbent Scott Brown.
- During her campaign, Warren promised to fight for middle-class families and to make sure that everyone gets a fair opportunity.
- She won the general election in November 2012 and became the first female US Senator from Massachusetts.
Warren is widely credited for her political courage, and unstoppable persistence that led to the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Warren served as Chair of the Congressional Oversight Panel for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis. Her tireless efforts to protect taxpayers and question the system won praise from both the Bush and Obama administrations respectively.
- The Boston Globe named Warren Bostonian of the Year. Also, the TIME Magazine referred to her a “New Sheriff of Wall Street” for her oversight efforts.
This presidential race is expected to draw several women and non-white contenders, which will make it the most diverse field in history
Featured image credit: CNN