Ten Facts about Gul Makai, Malala Yousafzai’s Biopic
On January 9, 2020, the trailer of Gul Maki was released. The upcoming film is an Indian biographical film based on the life of Malala Yousafzai, the youngest Nobel Prize laureate. Gul Makai is set to be released on January 31, 2020. Malala is a Pakistani activist who uses her voice to promote the right to education globally, especially female education. The TIME magazine included Malala in the list of the most influential people consecutively three years (2013, 2014 and 2015). Malala Yousafzai has won several awards and honours.
Some key takeaways:
- Malala Yousafzai used the pseudonym Gul Makai when she started blogging for the BBC about what life was like under the Taliban.
- The film will include Malala’s journey in the Swat Valley and her struggle against the Taliban.
- The film also stars Late Om Puri as General Kayani. General Kayani is a retired four-star rank army general who served as the Chief of Army Staff in the Pakistan Army.
Here are ten facts that you should know about Gul Makai:
- Malala used the pseudonym Gul Makai when she started blogging for the BBC about what life was like under the Taliban. Malala was 11 years old when she blogged then. The BBC Urdu website published her blogs.
- Malala originally belongs to Swat valley, Pakistan. The film will portray the Yousafzai family’s journey. Especially featuring the part of the journey when the Taliban imposed Sharia Law in the Swat valley, Pakistan.
- The film stars Reem Shaikh as Malala, Divya Dutta as Toor Pekai Yousafzai (Malala’s Mother) and Atul Kulkarni as Ziauddin Yousafzai (Malala’s Father).
- The film will also star Late Om Puri as General Kayani. General Kayani is a retired four-star rank army general who served as the Chief of Army Staff in the Pakistan Army.
Reem said in an Interview, “playing the lead in a biopic is a responsibility.”
- The film’s trailer explains the meaning of Malala’s name. A similar dialogue was also included in both Malala’s 2015 documentary “He Named me Malala” and her autobiography I am Malala.
- Gul Makai is Reem Shaikh’s debut film in which she plays a lead role. Sixteen year old Reem has acted in several TV series. Reem said in an Interview with ABP news “playing the lead in a biopic is a responsibility.”
- Taliban gunmen shot Malala Yousafzai and two of her friends in an assassination attempt in retaliation of her activism for the education of girls. Malala was 15 years old when the Taliban shot her. The film Gul Makai will include this incident.
- The film’s first schedule was filmed in Bhuj, Gujarat, and Mumbai. The second schedule was filmed in Ganderbal district of Kashmir. The filming of Gul Makai wrapped up in January 2018.
- H.E. Amjad Khan directed the film Gul Makai. H.E. Amjad Khan wrote and composed all the songs except the title song.
- Praveen Angre, is a national award-winning editor who has edited the film Gul Makai.
Mansi is an Intern at SheThePeople.TV
Credits: Pen India/ Twitter, Reuters