Tanushree Dutta Refutes Police’s “No Evidence” Claim, Files Protest Plea
In the #MeToo case of sexual harassment allegations made by former actor Tanushree Dutta against actor Nana Patekar, Dutta has rejected the B-Summary report filed by the Oshiwara police station giving clean chit to Patekar in the case she filed against him. She approached the Railway Mobile Court, Andheri, Mumbai in July where she reached along with her legal team and Counsel Nitin Satpute.
While Dutta filed the petition, no member from the Oshiwara Police Station was present and the case will now have a hearing on September, 7. Satpute told the magistrate court that they were opposing the police’s B-Summary report. Dutta also confirmed the development and told Bombay Times, “Yes, we are opposing the B-Summary report. We are not accepting it because I think the police have been given ample proof. It’s a harassment case and everyone has seen how much proof is there, with our witnesses talking to the media about it now, and the video footage of my car getting attacked in 2008. It’s so crystal clear and yet they had the audacity to file that report. By doing that, they have put their heads in the hornet’s nest.”
She added that her legal team has yet to get a copy of the B-Summary report which the police have delayed in submitting to them. “There were lots of discrepancies that we found in the report itself. There were lot things like how they kept us in the dark and didn’t give us the documents. We were also supposed to receive a copy of the whole B-Summary report and we still haven’t received it. It was supposed to be shared with us. My advocates need it to be able to oppose it and prepare a report, too.”
On June 12, Oshiwara police station filed the B-Summary report before a metropolitan magistrate in Mumbai’s Andheri. The police general file this report when there are no evidences found against the accused to file charges and seek trial.
“We were also supposed to receive a copy of the whole B-Summary report and we still haven’t received it. It was supposed to be shared with us. My advocates need it to be able to oppose it and prepare a report, too.”
In September last year, Dutta spoke to a media house and on being asked about the #MeToo movement in Hollywood, she retorted saying how her case of sexual harassment was brushed away and she never got justice. The Aashiq Banaya Aapne actor, who moved to the US and settled there was back on holiday when she did the interview and started the #MeToo wave in India as her speaking up inspired several other actors, journalists, singers etc. to speak up about their perpetrators.
She alleged sexual misconduct by Nana Patekar in 2008 on the sets of Horn Ok Please. The two were working on the film for which Dutta was doing a dance sequence. Even back then, when she was associated with that movie, she raised her voice against Patekar and others who had behaved inappropriately with her as well as damaged her car and intimidated her.
Picture credit- India Today