According to the ‘Status of Women In India’ report a total of 10 percent of working women face sexual harassment at the workplace, Hindustan Times reported. The report highlights that 44.8 percent of women in India are employed and that 37.14 percent of women in India are facing issues related to health. This report is a compilation of the work done by Drishti Stree Adhyayan Prabhodhan Kendra (Women’s studies center), over the past two years.
- The Status Of Women in India report was published after compiling the work done by Drishti Stree Adhyayan Prabhodhan Kendra (women’s studies center).
- The report states that a total of 10 percent of women in India face sexual harassment at the workplace.
- It also puts forth that around 37.14 percent of women in India face health issues.
- The report also found that around 23 percent of women marry before the age of 18.
The report also states that while much has been written about Aryabhatta, not enough has been covered about his daughter Lilawati, who was also a great mathematician.
44 Percent Of Women Have Arthritis Health Problem
The report says that 37.14 percent of Indian women face issues related to health, around 44 percent of women have arthritis. Maneesha Kothekar, project director of the report said, “Through this report, it was found that 44.8 women are employed in different fields and 10 percent women face sexual harassment at the workplace. The issues which they face is there no crèche, no canteen, no transportation, no restroom and no washroom facilities provided to them. While 37.14 percent of women have various health issues in which the highest is of 44 percent of women has Arthritis health problem.”
“There are many fact-findings of this report in which we have carried out 26 different studies. We interviewed women from all walks of life which include working women, women in politics, women Sadhvis from different religions, women in Naxalite areas and also women in borderline districts of Jammu and Kashmir and West Bengal state. The reason behind this survey was to know the current situation of women in India and look for a solution. Structured interviews took place and a lot of effort was put into it.” she added.
Other Findings Of The Report
The report also cites some other important findings of the women in India. These are:
- From the 26 different studies conducted for the report, it was found that 23 percent of women in India get married before the age of 18 years.
- The political participation of women has also increased to 40 percent.
- Whereas 78 percent of women in Jammu and Kashmir feel insecure due to cross border firing and shelling and 39 percent of women in West Bengal feel insecure due to communal atrocities.
- The percentage of participation of women, in curriculum committees, is also poor, non-significant and non-influential. Only 28 percent content written by women authors were found in textbooks from class VI to VIII, the Indian Express cited.
- Lessons written by women constituted only 6.8 percent content in class IX textbooks.
- Close to 80 percent of women have opened bank accounts.
- The report also states that while much has been written about Aryabhatta, not enough has been covered about his daughter Lilawati, who was also a great mathematician
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.