Who Is Sanjita Chanu? Know More about This Manipuri Star
Weightlifter Sanjita Chanu gave India the second consecutive gold medal in the women’s 53 kg category at the ongoing the Commonwealth Games, Gold Coast. Her extraordinary moves helped her become the second Indian woman weightlifter to win gold in two different editions of the Commonwealth Games. She overpowered her opponent, registered a Games record in snatch with a lift of 84 kg that put her in pole position in the event. With a total lift of 192 kg in snatch plus clean and jerk, Sanjita now stands tall among the elite weightlifters internationally.
Here’s everything you need to know about the sensational weightlifter:
- Born on January 2, 1994, the 24-year-old from Manipuri started her career at a very young age. At 12, the youngster first set foot in a weightlifting competition and never looked back.
- She is the gold medalist at the Senior National Championship in 2009 and then a few years later went on to win a Bronze Medal at the Asian Weightlifting Championships in 2011. In 2012, she again bagged gold at the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships.
Wonderful start to the day. Heartiest Congratulations to #SanjitaChanu on India's second Gold at the #CWG2018 and her second gold in successive CWG after the one in Glasgow. Top effort and consistency. pic.twitter.com/qFkMOs6z2F
— VVS Laxman (@VVSLaxman281) April 6, 2018
- The Manipur weightlifter clinched her second Commonwealth gold, having won the 48 kg event in Glasgow four years back.
- With this win, she became the second Indian woman weightlifter to win gold in two different editions of the Commonwealth Games.
- The Indian Railways employee even overpowered the 2018 Gold winner Mirabai, in Glasgow. She clinched a gold with a total lift of 173 kg. Sanjita claimed the gold, and missed out on the Games record by a whisker.
— Gold Coast 2018 (@GC2018) April 6, 2018
- As 2017 began, she secured a berth for CWG Australia after taking gold in the women’s 53 kg with a total lift of 195 kg at the Commonwealth Senior Weightlifting Championships.
- When the final list of Arjuna Awardees, last year, was announced she was left out and eventually prompted to file a written petition before the Delhi High Court.
Bhartiya Naari Sab par Bhaari. One more Gold. Congratulations #SanjitaChanu for winning our second gold in #GC2018Weightlifting in the women's 53kg category. #CWG2018
Her second CWG gold after the 48kg one in Glasgow. Proud of you champion. pic.twitter.com/Xnms7T6Byz
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) April 6, 2018
- Idol to many aspiring Indians now was drawn to the sport after getting inspired by weightlifting star champion N Kunjarani Devi.
- Sanjita also broke the Commonwealth Games snatch record in the 53 kg category. She lifted 84 kg, to shoot into the lead. She later went on to use this early lead, as she clinched the gold.