French President Emmanuel Macron’s India visit began today with an intention to further strengthen ties between the two nations. Prime Minister Narendra Modi was present at Delhi airport to receive the French premier. The first lady of France, Brigitte Macron is also accompanying her husband on his four-day visit to India.
On Saturday morning, the couple paid their respects to Mahatma Gandhi by laying a wreath at Rajghat. After which the French president proceeded to meet External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, at the Alliance Francaise in New Delhi. Closer to mid-day, Macron and Modi held bilateral talks at Hyderabad House, where they discussed ways to further boost alliance between the two nations. After an exchange of agreements, both the leaders released a joint press statement.
Following are some key takeaways from his meeting with Prime Minister Modi:
Today, I consider the agreement of reciprocal logistics supports among our armed forces as a golden step in the history of our close defence cooperation.
- The two countries have agreed to recognize each other’s educational qualifications, and have a migration and mobility partnership. These two agreements will prepare a framework for closer relations between the countrymen especially the youth.
- Both Countries believe the Indian Ocean region is very important for the future of peace in the world – specially freedom of navigation. This will be a joint strategic region.
President Macron’s in his statement said
- The trust we share is aligned specially on threats to security by global terrorism. We have decided to do more on cyber warfare and counter-terrorism. We have agreed for an operational alliance on this.
Stability in the Indian Ocean region is very important for the stability of the entire region, and we are with India for freedom of navigation in the Indo-Pacific.
- We have also increased our partnership for space programs. There will be increased cooperation between our space agencies.
- At least 50 contracts are being signed between India and France on climate, railways, electric mobility, urban infrastructure, renewable energy, nuclear technology, etc.
Macron will be addressing students at a meeting in a town hall today, following which he will attend dinner hosted by President Ram Nath Kovind. During his visit, he will be accompanying Modi to Varanasi, where they will take a boat ride on Ganga river. The president will also visit Taj Mahal with his wife.
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.