PM Modi Address on Tuesday To Decide on Lockdown Extension
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the country tomorrow, i.e Tuesday 14th April at 10 am to decide on lockdown extension. Post the coronavirus spread, Modi has been getting requests from various states to extend it. The Prime Minister is likely announce the extension of the lockdown till end of the month or May 1st but may make some exception for the economy and essential sectors to get back on stream.
During his meeting with 13 Chief Ministers last week, PM Narendra Modi agreed with contemporaries who said it was imperative to extend the lockdown and in a video conference he was seen showing his agreement. COVID-19, has infected over 9,000 in India and continues to see spread across many states.
There are talks to mark districts and areas and lock them out entirely to contain spread. These will be divided as red, orange and green based on the intensity of the COVID 19 infection in those regions.
According to reports, the lockdown may be extended but with many changes this time around.
- Interstate movement will remain restricted
- Essential services will continue.
- Schools, colleges and religious institutions will stay closed.
- Some sector specific relaxation likely to be allowed, sources say, with social distancing norms.
- Airlines, it’s not clear if regular airline traffic will be permitted again though there is speculation there will be some relief to the sector
PM Modi had earlier said that lifting the lockdown was not possible. “Massive behavioural, social and personal changes will have to take place,” PM Modi had reportedly told political leaders in the video conference.
Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan on Friday informed that Rs 4,100 crore as a fund have been allocated to states to fight the virus. He also stated that everyone must wear a mask to prevent the further spread of COVID 19.