Call me “Raksha Mantri” Please, Nirmala Sitharaman tells Soldiers
Nirmala Sitharaman, the second woman to hold the defence portfolio, has solved the dilemma of many Indian soldiers who were confused over how to address her. The 58-year-old leader told them,‘You can just call me Raksha Mantri please’,” a source said.
The soldiers referred to her as sir, madam and Memsaab on different occasions. During informal interactions, some jawans even asked how they should address the minister. That’s when Nirmala Sitharaman cleared their confusion.
‘You can just call me Raksha Mantri please’- Nirmala Sitharaman
“It’s a nice gesture on the Raksha Mantri’s part to help resolve the dilemma of our troops,” a senior army officer said.
Know more about her:
- She was given the charge of defence portfolio on 3rd September 2017.
- She is the first ever Defence Minister of India to work full-time. It is for the first time in more than 30 years, that a woman minister has been declared as the defence ministry. Earlier prime minister, Indira Gandhi had twice doubled up as the Defence Minister.
- Earlier she was the Minister of State for Commerce.
- She has been the Rajya Sabha MP from Karnataka.
- She is also the former member of National Commission For Women
- Sitharaman had joined the government as trade minister in 2014. She has a degree in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- Under Ravi Shankar Prasad, she started her political career as a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson.
She was recently in the news when she met French Defence Minister who was on a 2-day visit to India. The two discussed all aspects of defence and security cooperation between the two countries as well as ways to enhance maritime cooperation.
Pic Credit: News Nation