15-Yr-Old Shooter Bags Gold, Breaks Heena Sidhu’s Record
Meet a new sensation in pistol shooting, Manu Bhaker. The 15-year-old from Haryana pipped Olympian Heena Sidhu to grab the 10m air pistol gold at the 61st National Shooting Championship Competitions on Sunday (Dec 24).
9th Gold Medal
Bhaker stole the limelight after she bagged her ninth gold medal in the junior mixed team event along with Abhishek Arya. She surpassed Sidhu’s past record by creating a new national record score in the finals. She has clinched nine gold medals over two days in women’s pistol events.
Here are a few things to know about the upcoming shooter:
- At the event, Bhaker swept the women’s 10M air pistol events, including the women’s 10m air pistol competition.
- The teenager also won the junior women’s 10m air pistol, the junior women’s civilian air pistol and the youth women’s air pistol individual gold medals along with the team gold in these events.
- The youngster won gold medals with new national records in all three categories — women, junior and youth — of the 10m Air Pistol at the 61st National Shooting Championship in Thiruvananthapuram. Sidhu had set the previous record of 240.8 last month during the Commonwealth Shooting Championship in Brisbane, Australia.
- Earlier this year too, Manu registered a sterling double even as former world number one Heena Sidhu easily clinched the women’s pistol gold medal at the XVII Kumar Surendra Singh Memorial Shooting Championship in New Delhi.
Also Read: Does India take its sportswomen seriously?
- Thus, Manu ends the year on a great note. She not only won the junior and youth gold at the Kumar Surendra Singh Memorial Shooting Championship in Delhi, but also the youth silver along with the Youth Olympic Games quota at the 10th Asian Airgun Championship in Wako City, Japan.
- The performer of the day recently secured a Youth Olympic Games quota, bagged her maiden national title with a new final national record of 242.3. She secured a berth each for their country for the Beunos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games (YOG), on the concluding day of the 10th Asian Championship 10m Rifle/Pistol (Asian Airgun Championship), in Wako City, Japan.
Feature Image Credit: Twitter