LinkedIn Opportunity Index 2021: As many as 85 percent of working women in our country have missed out on work offers, promotion or raise due to their gender, claims a report. The report also found that women's work was more impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, as compared to men.
The LinkedIn Opportunity Index 2021 found that nine in every 10 women were negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The primary finding from this report suggests that Indian women suffer a much larger impact on their careers due to gender bias. It claims that 85 percent of women in India have missed out on a raise or promotion due to their gender, whereas this number stood at 60 percent for the Asia Pacific region.
The report also highlighted the impact of factors like inner male circles at the workplace, family responsibilities and the general perception about the scale of the issue, on women's careers in India. Close to 66 percent of participating women said that they have faced a lack of guidance through networks, while over 70 percent feel that family responsibilities come in the way of their career. As many as 22 percent women in India agree that companies harbour 'favourable bias' towards men. Shockingly, 66 percent of people feel that gender inequality has smoothened out from their parents' generation.
This survey was conducted among participants between the ages of 18 to 65 years. Over 10,000 people took part in the survey from the Asia Pacific region, China, Australia, Japan, India, Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore. In India, 2,285 respondents took part in the survey, out of which 1,053 identified as women.
Key finding from LinkedIn Opportunity Index 2021:
- 85 percent women missed out on a raise, work offers and promotions due to their gender.
- 89 percent working women were negatively impacted by the pandemic.
- 50 percent, women see their gender as a barrier when it comes to procuring opportunities.
- 63 percent women opine that a person's gender is important to get ahead in life.
- 22 percent women feel companies harbour 'favourable bias' towards men in India.
- 37 percent women feel they get paid lower than men.
Photo by Tran Mau Tri Tam on Unsplash