Transgender couple marriage : Transgender couple Manu Karthika and Syama S Prabha got hitched in Thiruvananthapuram on Valentine's Day (14th February) in presence of family and friends. "We're happy to get married on Valentine's Day. We're completing the paperwork to approach Kerala HC to register our marriage under transgender identity," said Manu Karthika.
Here's everything you should know about the couple
- Manu is a native of Thrissur and works at an IT firm in Techno park.
- Syama, on the other hand, is employed at the transgender cell under the Kerala Social Justice Department.
- Earlier the couple had told ANI, "We're planning to approach Kerala HC to register our marriage under transgender identity, instead of the gender binary (male-female) under Special Marriage Act".
- After their wedding, the couple said in an interview that they hadn't planned to get married on Valentine’s Day. "Our parents believe in horoscope and the date was considered auspicious. On this day, I hope people accept all kinds of love,” she said.
- The duo met in 2010 and befriended each other while being part of the queer movement in Kerala. In 2017, Manu proposed to Syama.
"Our parents believe in horoscope and the date was considered auspicious. On this day, I hope people accept all kinds of love,” - Syama
- But both of them had to handle multiple responsibilities at home since both were the elder kids in the family. Once they felt their major responsibilities were taken care of, they decided to get married, as per a report.
- The couple is now prepping up for a legal fight as they plan to register the marriage under their transgender identity. “We have both changed our identities as transwoman and transman and it is so in all our certificates. We want to register the marriage also as transgenders. So we will be filing a PIL soon,” said Syama.