The US is divided electorally between its two Presidential candidates, Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton. The battle between the two of them, at least the way Trump sees it, is over the question of leadership. The US has never taken seriously any woman who aimed to become President of the world’s most powerful nation. But this time, for the first time, the country has a very credible woman leader to vote in as President – provided she can be seen to lead.
For many women the world over, that question has already been answered. Hillary Clinton, a former First Lady of the United States and a Secretary of State, has provided women with such inspiration that for them, there is no argument over who should lead the US.
See for yourself what we mean with these eight quotes from Hillary Clinton.
- "It is past time for women to take their rightful place, side by side with men, in the rooms where the fates of peoples, where their children's and grandchildren's fates, are decided."
- "There cannot be true democracy unless women's voices are heard. There cannot be true democracy unless women are given the opportunity to take responsibility for their own lives. There cannot be true democracy unless all citizens are able to participate fully in the lives of their country."
- "You want me to tell you what my husband thinks? My husband is not secretary of state; I am. If you want my opinion, I will tell you my opinion. I am not going to be channelling my husband."
- "Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in. And, when you stumble, keep faith. And, when you're knocked down, get right back up and never listen to anyone who says you can't or shouldn't go on."
- "Whether I am meant to or not, I challenge assumptions about women. I do make some people uncomfortable, which I'm well aware of, but that's just part of coming to grips with what I believe is still one of the most important pieces of unfinished business in human history—empowering women to be able to stand up for themselves."
- “Human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights. Let us not forget that among those rights are the right to speak freely - and the right to be heard.”
- “Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.”
- “We need to understand that there is no formula for how women should lead their lives. That is why we must respect the choices that each woman makes for herself and her family. Every woman deserves the chance to realize her God-given potential.Feature image credit: ABC News