Neelam Dhawan is the Managing Director of Hewlett-Packard India and a force to reckon with. An alumna of St. Stephen’s College, Delhi, she pursued her MBA from Faculty of Management Studies in Delhi University.
- Her career kicked off with HCL Technologies, where she worked for 14 years, learning the nuances of sales and marketing.
- Thereafter, she joined IBM as Vice-President and was a member of the company board of directors.
- Dhawan then joined HP as Vice-President of the customer solutions group and was entrusted with the responsibility of strategic growth of alliances and partnerships.
- She joined Microsoft Corporation India Pvt Ltd in 2005 as as head of Sales & Marketing Operations. Under her responsibility, Microsoft was recognized as Subsidiary of the Years In APAC by Microsoft Corporation in 2005-2006.
- She has been the Managing Director at Hewlett-Packard India Pvt Ltd. since July 1, 2008.
“The desire to have a career was very strong in me”- Dhawan
Secret of success
Dhawan says that the credit of her success largely goes to her parents who didn’t bring her up any differently from her brother and her mother-in-law who quit her job when Dhawan’s elder daughter was born. Her husband Atul Dhawan, who is a partner at Deloitte Haskins, has also been a strong pillar of support.
She juggles the responsibilities of being a mother, a wife and her profession with equal panache.
“I always enjoy what I do. Even when I tried to go to rural parts of India and working with clients and customers, I enjoyed it because it is more exciting to be executing a vision than to just working on the vision. I feel vision and execution go together. I really enjoy leading from the front, rather than saying ‘No, no, no, you guys do it and I will support it.”
She is one of the most powerful and influential figures in the computing sector and an inspiration for thousands of women aspiring to lead from the front.
Read Also: Meet 10 of the brightest women scientists in India