Harvey Weinstein, who was recently convicted for sexual assault and rape has reportedly tested positive for coronavirus. Niagara Gazette first reported the news stating that Weinstein is currently in medical isolation at Wende Correctional Facility in Western New York. The disgraced Hollywood producer was sentenced to 23 years in prison earlier in March.

Key Takeaways:

  • Disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein has reported positive for the global pandemic coronavirus. 
  • According to Niagara Gazette which first reported the news, Weinstein is currently in medical isolation at Wende Correctional Facility in Western New York.
  • The news has, however, not been confirmed by the New York State’s Department of Corrections since they follow the policy of ‘non-disclosure of a prisoner’s medical record.’
  • The pandemic has infected more than 3,39,000 people worldwide with more than 14,600 deaths globally.

Jail Is The Best Breeding Ground Facility For The Virus?

Michael Powers, president of the New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association (NYSCOPBA) did not comment on Weinstein’s situation but told Niagara Gazette thatThere is no better breeding ground for this virus than a closed environment such as a correctional facility”. The news has, however, not been confirmed by the New York State’s Department of Corrections since they follow the policy of ‘non-disclosure of a prisoner’s medical record.’ However, all visits to the prison have been suspended by the concerned authorities.

If the news holds true, the 68-year-old Weinstein is one of the two prison inmates who have been affected by the virus at New York’s maximum-security prison, which has the capacity to hold around 961 inmates. It is still not clear from where did Weinstein contract the disease. It may be anywhere from his stay at Wende to  NYC’s Bellevue hospital, where he was treated for high blood pressure and chest pains. The officials, however, believe that he contracted the virus before he was shifted to the prison facility this Wednesday.

Also Read: Society Repeatedly Fails Survivors, Hope Weinstein Verdict Will Change That

Accused By More Than 90 Women For Sexual Assault

Weinstein has been accused of rape and sexual assault by more than 90 women. However, he faced charges only in a few of them. Anabella Sciorra was the first to testify against Weinstein. According to Fortune, the actress kept the rape accusations hidden for decades and only told a few friends about what Weinstein did to her.

He was recently sentenced to 23 years in prison by the New York Supreme Court. Actress Mira Sorvino, one of the accusers of Weinstein tweeted, “23 years. Harvey Weinstein has been sentenced to 23 years in prison for his crimes of rape and sexual assault. I literally cried tears of amazement, gratitude that the justice system has worked on behalf of all of his victims today.”

Weinstein has been sentenced for two cases of sexual assaults – 20 years for a criminal sex act of the first degree for forcing oral sex on a production assistant Miriam Haley in 2006. Also, judge Burke imposed an additional punishment of three years on the account of a third-degree rape of a woman in 2013. The said woman was a former aspiring actress, Jessica Mann.

Picture Credit- BBC

Also Read: It Is A Struggle For Rape Survivors To File Complaint Spontaneously  

Get the best of SheThePeople delivered to your inbox - subscribe to Our Power Breakfast Newsletter. Follow us on Twitter , Instagram , Facebook and on YouTube, and stay in the know of women who are standing up, speaking out, and leading change.