India’s legendary danseuse Mrinalini Seth passed away Thursday morning at an Ahmedabad-based hospital. She was admitted into the hospital yesterday morning after some old age problems were diagnosed. She was 97 when she breathed her last and her artistry will be remembered by everyone in the country for generations. The Padma Bhushan awardee is survived by her husband, Father of Indian Space Program, Vikram Sarabhai, her daughter, Mallika Sarabhai and her son, Karthikeya Sarabhai. Here are some of her achievements that made all of us proud:
- Lovingly known as “Amma,” Mrinalini is the achiever of both the nation’s most respected awards- Padma Bhushan in 1992 and Padma Shri in 1995.
- She founded an academy called Darpana Academy of Performing Arts in 1948 where all kinds of artistries like dance, drama, music and puppetry are taught. And she had taught over 18000 dancers in Bharatnatyam and Kathakali until her death.
- Amma’s potential was recognised not just in India, but the French government also gave her a medal and Diploma of the French Archives Internationales de la Danse. She is the first Indian ever to receive such an honor.
- An inspiration to many, Mrinalini has lived with the legends in her family with her father being a renowned barrister at the Madras High Court and mother being a freedom fighter. She studied under the supervision of Rabindranath Tagore and learnt her skills from the one and only Meenakshi Sundaram Pillai.
- Mrinalini may have left this world, but her achievements like performing in front of the first Prime Minister of India after Independence, Jawahar Lal Nehru, will not be forgotten for a long long time from now.
Picture Credit- Wn
We request you to support our award-winning journalism by making a financial contribution towards our efforts. Your funds will ensure we can continue to bring you amazing stories of women, and the impact they are making and spotlight half the country's population because they deserve it.